Poll - What SWCG Do You Have & Would You Buy it Again ?

What SWCG Do You Have & Would You Buy it Again (Make & Model) ?

• Total voters
Jun 3, 2009
Hi Folks - I know there has been a fair amount of discussion on recommendations for types of SWCG, but I thought a simple poll would provide a good snapshot on the issue and hopefully garner a higher rate of participation. Please take the time to provide your input and be specific with make and model. If you would not buy that unit again, a reason would be very helpful. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

We have an AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital 220 SC-48. We had one for a year, and it was damaged during the refurb. Our second one is only a year old, but we ran it all winter.

I find it easy to take apart to clean the screen and check it for problems (none so far).

Lana

I have an Intellichlor IC40 and am in my 3rd season with it. I am not dis-satisfied enough to say that I wouldn't buy it again, but I would not say I am super-impressed. I have had the "flow-meter" go bad and had to replace ($40 part). No biggie, stuff doesn't last forever. One of the LED lights actually burned out (or more correctly stopped working). And now, 4th year in, I am having to replace the IECG cell. For the task of converting salt into usable chlorine, it seems to function as advertised, so I cannot complain too much.

My list of gripes:
(1) Number 1 is that I cannot "unplug" it to remove it for periodic cleaning. If I ever get around to it, I am going to cut the power cord and install a weather-proof plug socket so I can remove the device for cleaning away from the equipment. Seems like the manufacturer's design should already allow for this.

(2) Cold water shutdown. Because of science, the IC40 stops producing chlorine below a certain temperature (52F maybe?). I believe all SWG's are subject to this constraint. No big deal, except that the IC40 doesn't tell you that it isn't producing chlorine. So during the change in the seasons, I have to watch it closely or just shut it down early.

(3) Minimum flow. It requires a minimum flow of like 25 GPM or something like that to produce chlorine. Again, I think this has to do with the science of SWGs. My pump only measures RPMs and I haven't actually done a test to measure the flow, but it seems like I have to have the pump cranked up quite high for it to actually register a flow. I sure would like to have an SWG that I can leave running at a lower setting and let the pump run longer during the day at a lower speed. As it stands, I have to crank my variable speed pump up pretty high and run the IC40 at 100% output for a few hours per day.

(4) LED lights a little bit cryptic. I always need to refer to the manual when stuff starts blinking different colors, and some patterns are not listed in the manual; ugh. If I ever get spare time, I'll laminate that page from the manual and post it inside my pool electronics cabinet.

Agian, the device has been pretty reliable and it does what it is supposed to do: make chlorine from salt.

I have an Auto Pilot DIG-220 with the SC-36 Cell. Worked great for 2 years. In the third year I started getting crazy temp readings. At the time the warranty was 2yrs and 3rd year 50% parts only. The only way to make the claim is to have local rep come out and check it. They won't let me bring it in. By the time they charge me a $70 service charge and half of list price I could have saved money just buying the Tri-Sensor myself. The warranty now is just a 2yr warranty.

Between 3-4 years the Power Supply went out. I replaced that whole unit with a new one from The Salt Pool Guys recommended here. They gave me a good price so I did that instead of picking a new brand and having to add another timer since the Autopilot will run the pump.

I am going to change the salt cell soon as it is on borrowed time. Most people tell me the SC-36 is only a 3yr cell and I have over 4yrs on it now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.