2 questions one off topic

Mar 21, 2011
North Carolina
Hey all,
I am curious about my chlorine reading it is at 26 as I shocking with a sledgehammer, can I get in at that reading wanna get my feet and legs in to do some vacuuming in the shallow end, and I also have a problem under my cement on the shallow in, right before my steps that go into the pool, seems the dirt/earth has washed away under the cement and it fills a bit springy, is this a fix that I can do or do I need a concrete guy to come out? English is my first language just not the best at it.

Thanks
Kram

If CYA is 40, or lower, I don't really recommend getting in. If you wear clothes that you don't care about ruining and don't get your head wet it probably won't be a big deal, but that is a very high FC level for CYA around 40.

Thanks Jason,
The precision of the test, when done correctly, is around plus or minus 15 for levels up to 90 and plus or minus 30 for levels between 100 and 200. Novices often have problems reading the test correctly, and tend to get higher than actual readings.

I am a novice that is hooping 40 is close, where do you recomend taking it to get an acurate reading, or is theere a way of seeing it in the day to day workings of my pool?

i would think there would be so many variables to accurately judge CYA level based on FC loss. it was cloudy yesterday in my neck of the woods and my 24 hour FC loss was only .5 ppm (coming from 8.5 to 8). that kinda looked weird to me and i started thinking that my CYA was higher then i though (40 ppm). but then i figured it was cloudy, plus i have 80% of water covered by solar blanket, so it might've been true.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did say estimate. You won't get precision this way, just a double check that you are in the correct ballpark. CYA around 50 will lose roughly 50% of your starting level. Losing all of your chlorine in one day means CYA is below 20. CYA up around 70 will lose less than 1/4 of your starting FC level. Of course all of this varies with the amount of sunlight you get and the water temperature.

It is a good way to decide if CYA is zero or 40. Not a good way to decide if CYA is 30 or 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.