Particals In Water At Night ..... Why?

Jun 1, 2011
Ofallon, MO
I run my filter 24 hrs a day, I estimate i turn my pool over about 4 times per day. My PDA says my salt level is 2600 ppm, currently i have my SCG at 50%. However i have only used test strips for checking levels.

HACH Aquacheck 7 Strips
Th 250
Tc 2
Fc 4
pH 7.6
Ta 100
Ca 50

These are the only test i have currently. Any time i take my water up for testing they always say it is perfect, and generally i dont have issues ever with water chemistry.

My issue is from day one (3 years now) at night when i turn on the firber optic underwater lights i see millions of what looks like particals, almost a haze. During the day the water is absolutly clear. Also this season i have noticed more bubbles at the return jets and the slide when it is on.

This year when i started the pool up i switched to a DE subsitute that claims it filters even smaller particals than DE.

First off, I wouldn't use the strips - they just aren't reliable.

FC + CC = TC so your TC can't be 2 if your FC is 4.

I would turn off the SWG and make sure your FC is holding overnight.

If the problem isn't related to your chlorine level, perhaps clean out the filter of the replacement stuff and try traditional DE and see if you notice any improvement.

You can always see some particles at night using an underwater light, even with the very best filtering. They are there all the time, you just can't see them during the day. A DE filter, with DE or fiber, will get more of them out than other kinds of filters, but it will never get all of them.

There will always be floaters in the water. Filtering is inexact - it's not like you suck all the water out into another tank then filter every drop of it before putting it back in the pool.

Aside from the floaters you see in the light, is the water clear? Can you drop a dime in the deep end and see it from the deck? Can you tell if it's heads or tails? (The last part's a joke, by the way.)

You may be developing sparklypoolitis.

The pool should be clear so that you can easily see the drains in the deep end. Look at this picture of my pool during the day and this one at night where the drains and pool sweep are clearly visible even looking diagonally through the water from a distance. In fact, at night it should look almost as if there is no water in the pool except for the color tinge from the lights. Take a look at this thread for some photo examples of the expected clarity -- I have a post there that shows the floaters in front of the lamp (I have a cartridge filter).

I see floaters in my pool in front of the lamp as well. And yes, if you have a pic then that can help.

>> I run my filter 24 hrs a day...see millions of what looks like particals, almost a haze.

what has helped me is to run the pump at superslow speed for 5 hours each day, in addition to ultraslow speed for 3 days / 24 hours / day. In ultraslow mode, I use below 90 watts of power and the water is absolutely clear with underwater lights on at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.