Outdoor speaker ideas

May 27, 2011
Richardson, Texas
Almost done with my landscaping phase of my pool build so I will be moving into my next project. Getting some tunes out there. I am a production manager so I have extensive knowledge of hooking up sound. Just I only do it on a larger scale and much louder :lol: So I was looking for some ideas.

This Is what I was wanting to do. Nothing really elaborate as far as set up. I have the speakers picked out already and I have my power amp. Getting a pair of Outdoor Boston Acoustics that will be powered by 210w Crown amp. Yea little bit of overkill on the amp, but it's free so can't complain. I was going to run it back to my office where it would be connected to my Mac where I could control it from outside with my iPhone, or even run various other music apps from my phone so it would be move convenient and wouldn't have to run in and out of the house all the time. That is the easy part, the hard part which is not really hard just a pain is I would have to run the wires through the attic and into the office and to make it a nice install would be a pain because studs getting in the way. So what I was looking for is a wireless solution. So any ideas of a way to go wireless with a good setup even it means getting a different speakers, equipment, etc? If anyone has a ideas on a good way to do the wired set up I am open for ideas.

-Thanks

I just ran the wires from the entertainment system through the attic and out under the eaves. Then mounted speakers under the eaves. They are out of the weather, it is a clean look. They are about 11' off the ground and are plenty loud to make the neighbors complain... :rockon:

When you ran them from your entertainment center to the attic did you run it up in the wall. How did you get it to the attic? Here we have firebreaks which is a 2x4 between the studs making it a pain in the rear to run things down walls which is what I would like to do like you are talking about. Then to the speakers under the eaves.

I have this, extremely easy set up. I have no problem with a crystal clear sound either. I keep one on the deck plugged in (since it saves batteries and power is right there) and another in the back corner of the yard facing the pool. My neighbors like it because they can jam while enjoying their pool (I even take requests) :party: . I hook it to my iphone/ipod which I keep in the house, you can put that dock anywere too b/c it is wireless as well. I just keep it in the house b/c when it is out everyone wants to play dj. You can also hook the dock station to a computer, tv, radio etc. The speakers can be mounted as well, I haven't done that yet b/c I like being able to move them around and I've even taken them on vacation or to someone elses house because they are light weight and easy to transport.

http://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-SPK-VEL ... 760&sr=1-2

I installed a set of these:

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/litesound.html

The fixtures are decent and seem to be pretty well constructed. The lights are only 9W and don't provide a huge amount of light, but its a pretty cool and simple way to get speakers to the pool via the landscape lighting. The two light/speaker combo fixtures don't have much bass but have a reasonable sound. I added one of these for a little bass and the built in amplifier has no problem running it along with the speaker/lights:

http://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-50-Omni-Di ... 291&sr=1-3

I can transmit music wirelessly from inside or can plug my blackberry or ipod directly into the light transformer box. Its not audiophile quality but it works.

In my experience, the fidelity of wireless speakers is nowhere near what you get with a traditional wired setup. I only have experience with 900Mhz speakers, but the sound
was pretty bad. I don't know if bluetooth is an option - likely not due to range limitations - and I don't know what the frequency spectrum is to be honest.

Outside sound is strange. You don't get the staging and precision of the indoor controlled environment. The best you can hope for is good, clean, full range sound. Bass typically is what suffers the most. Putting the speakers up under eaves or in the corners helps a lot. If possible, you should try out different speaker positions (set them on top of a ladder or something) and listen from the pool.

Net: If you go with wireless speakers, make sure there is a solid return policy where you get them from; I don't think you will like them.

I ended up buying a JVC Kaboom (boombox) it was ~$260 and does what I need it to, it supports USB/CD/Ipod (and of course radio), the ipod hookup is enclosed, which is nice even though I use USB more often.

decent bass too (4 speakers)

most of the time I don't need to turn it up very loud.

I went with Niles Audio RS8Si Rock Speakers. They are priced at about $420.00 each, a little steep, but the look and the sound are superb. They are totally water/weather proof. I've been having them for 3 years now. I ran speaker wires from my stereo to the outside, ran conduit down the side of the house and in a small trench to the speakers which are located on both sides of my waterfall. It was quite a bit of work to do this but it was well worth it. I also can play music from my computer (which is what I usually do) via iTunes. I connected an Airport Express networking device to my stereo. This allows me to stream music from my computer to the stereo. On iTunes there are literally thousands of internet radio stations that I can choose from and the best part is that I can control the volume and the music from my iPhone using the free remote app.

If you have any questions or would like to see some pictures of my setup, you can email me at: [email protected]

Texan78 said:
When you ran them from your entertainment center to the attic did you run it up in the wall. How did you get it to the attic? Here we have firebreaks which is a 2x4 between the studs making it a pain in the rear to run things down walls which is what I would like to do like you are talking about. Then to the speakers under the eaves.
On the outside, I selected the speaker location and drilled through the eaves. I then pulled the wires through from the outside up into the attic.then went backinto the attic and pulled the wires from the attic down where my cable was run to the tv, cut a hole in the Sheetrock and fished the wires out and ran them through a coverplate and hooked it up to my receiver. If you have a fiberglass pole to help run the wires down the wall it makes it a little easier. I did not use one on this install, but I did when I ran my surround sound in the living room. Just find where your cable comes down the wall and there should be a passage you can run the wires through. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so, since you mentioned 2x4, you have a frame house- is it vinyl sided? there's a little tool you can use to pop lose siding, put your wires behind siding and run strait up the wall, then restore the siding... avoids the frame members, then just drill small hole in eave to feed thru...
If you have a crawl space under house, could also install underneath instead of in attic- small hole through foudation, plugged with caulk or concrete repair after running wires, small hole in floor of office/den to drop wires through...

Texan78 said:

If that is the case, you have to cut a square hole in the drywall and drill through them. Then you just screw in a backer board and patch. Not as bad as it sounds.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Sorry for not getting back sooner it was a wild weekend with work and my daughters pool party for her b-day. What a lot of you suggested is exactly how I was going to run them. Mount the speakers under the eaves then run the wires through the attic to the office and run it down the wall. Where it becomes complicated, is on interior walls between the studs they have what is called a fire break. Which is required by code. Which is basically just a 2x4 between the studs which makes it really hard to just drop a wire or cable straight down. It is mostly between the studs where outlets are placed. So you have to drill a hole then fish tape the wire down. Just a real hassle. I've done this before in the past for other things. That's the only thing I was worried about.

So I have taken in some of the ideas and talked to another member who has a set up that is exactly what I was looking to do and then made a modification to where I would house the amp etc. So instead of putting it in the office. I am now going to house it in the garage. I have a finished garage so it doesn't get all that hot or at least not enough to be an issue. This way it is on a exterior wall and I can fish down the speaker wires. It will be about 2-3' from the ceiling above a shelf so it will work perfect.

So this is my plan. Since I wanted a wireless set up but with wired speakers this is what I have come up with from the help of what someone else has done. I want to be able to control everything from my iPhone, iPad MacBook Pro etc. I am getting the Apple TV box $99 which has a feature called AirPlay on it which allows you to stream music, movies, etc. wirelessly. Instead of using a Crown amp which is overkill anyways, but already have it so was going to use it. I am getting instead a amp that is more fitting to the situation. I am getting this amp, http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/mi418dusotwh.html and I already have a pair of EV Outdoor speakers. If you have never heard them they are amazing outdoor speakers. Theme Parks, restaurants, etc. pretty much all use them. Going to mount the speakers under the eaves, run the wires to the garage through the attic to the amp. Then on the input side of the amp connect my AppleTV which will allow me to have AirPlay function and give me the input signal. So I will be able to play iTunes, Music Apps with radio stations, etc. all from my phone or control my iTunes on my MacBook Pro wirelessly locked safely in the office. So the speakers will be wired but the input source will be wireless. Which is pretty cool because other guest with iPhones can play their playlists or request songs from my iTunes via the iTunes DJ feature and all wirelessly. I am going to get that up and going and I may add some wireless outdoor subs like these http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/omni-subwoofer.html if I need them. Easy to do since the amp has a input and output source I can connect the transmitter to the output side and put the subs where I want them and away we go.

j1b7733 said:

The fixtures are decent and seem to be pretty well constructed. The lights are only 9W and don't provide a huge amount of light, but its a pretty cool and simple way to get speakers to the pool via the landscape lighting. The two light/speaker combo fixtures don't have much bass but have a reasonable sound.
I can transmit music wirelessly from inside or can plug my blackberry or ipod directly into the light transformer box. Its not audiophile quality but it works.
Thanks for the link!

I ordered a set of these and they'll be here early next week. The $100 (+$30 shipping) price is extremely good for these since they were retailing for more than that at other retailers. I'm sure the sound won't be as good as other solutions, but for my pool I think they're going to work out spectacularly. Hopefully I get the free remote that they advertise on that site.

I haven't made a speaker selection yet but my amplifier will be sitting in my garage a few feet away from the pool. I'll run the speaker wires through the wall via an existing wire chase.

In terns of controlling the music I'm going to try this BlueTooth receiver from MonoPrice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

I'mm be able to stream mp3's or Sirius Sat from my BlackBerry or iPhone. This means I can select tracks, play/pause and control volume @ poolside. I'll advise how it works one I have the set-up in place. The BT receiver is on back order so it won;t be happening any time soon.

goofygrin said:
j1b7733 said:

The fixtures are decent and seem to be pretty well constructed. The lights are only 9W and don't provide a huge amount of light, but its a pretty cool and simple way to get speakers to the pool via the landscape lighting. The two light/speaker combo fixtures don't have much bass but have a reasonable sound.
Thanks for the link!

I ordered a set of these and they'll be here early next week. The $100 (+$30 shipping) price is extremely good for these since they were retailing for more than that at other retailers. I'm sure the sound won't be as good as other solutions, but for my pool I think they're going to work out spectacularly. Hopefully I get the free remote that they advertise on that site.

Mine came with the remote.

FYI the wife surprised me with a pair of insignia rock speakers for our anniversary this weekend, and I have to say that these speakers really rock :rockon: They are on sale at Best Buy for Father's Day http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26 ... kers+(Pair)/8278124.p?id=1171058476697&skuId=8278124&st=outdoor speakers&cp=1&lp=2
I don't think you can go wrong for the price and it blends in with the landscape :cheers: :cheers:

Brentr said:
FYI the wife surprised me with a pair of insignia rock speakers for our anniversary this weekend, and I have to say that these speakers really rock :rockon: They are on sale at Best Buy for Father's Day http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26 ... kers+(Pair)/8278124.p?id=1171058476697&skuId=8278124&st=outdoor speakers&cp=1&lp=2
I don't think you can go wrong for the price and it blends in with the landscape :cheers: :cheers:

I am glad you like them. I have not gotten a chance to hook ours up yet, but I am sure soon we can get them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.