Invention idea...need feedback

May 17, 2011
Montgomery, TX
a plastic cylinder about the size of 10 pucks stacked ontop of each other. this clear cylinder would hold liquid chlorine and be inserted into existing rainbow erosion feeders to slowly introduce liquid chlorine into your pool. the bottom of the cylinder would have a very thick kind of mesh that would allow the bleach or chlorine to come out only when it was hit with a stream of water. if it worked of course you could always add onto it and make it bigger to hold more liquid. kinda like a rigged liquidator to utilize your rainbow feeder.

whatchall think, would it work?

It could work in theory, but there is no easy way to regulate the rate at which chlorine mixes with the pool water. There are a number of products that take various approaches to regulating the rate chlorine is added to the pool, and the ones that work well tend to be a fair bit more complex than what you describe.

I'd say, a very fine thread needle valve at the bottom, and a large piston with a spring behind it. Then you'd have to have, say, 10 psi, to overcome the spring and start pressing on the liquid, forcing it out the needle valve.

A simpler, more marketable solution would be something that fits exactly in place of a rainbow feeder and adapts it to a liquidator. No cutting, no gluing.

It's probably been invented, but the pool chemical industry has most likely paid the person off. With a chemical that could neutralize CYA, pool stores wouldn't be able to make as much $$$ selling people "shock" when their pools turn green from inadequate FC levels for their super high CYA caused by trichlor and dichlor.

brg88tx said:
woodyp said:
I want to invent a CYA neutralizing agent myself.
i know, there has got to be a chemist out there that can figure this out. he'd be a millionaire.

There is a chemical that will do it, but it's not being marketed anymore. It was expensive and didn't sell well.

I noticed during my last screw up when I used citric acid for the metal staining....my CYA dropped by 50% from 60 ppm to 30 ppm.

But it may have been a combination of things...I added HTH super algae guard..mistakenly thinking I was using polyquat....so it may have been a combination of the chemicals in the HTH super algae guard with the addition of citric acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
brg88tx said:
a plastic cylinder about the size of 10 pucks stacked ontop of each other. this clear cylinder would hold liquid chlorine and be inserted into existing rainbow erosion feeders to slowly introduce liquid chlorine into your pool. the bottom of the cylinder would have a very thick kind of mesh that would allow the bleach or chlorine to come out only when it was hit with a stream of water. if it worked of course you could always add onto it and make it bigger to hold more liquid. kinda like a rigged liquidator to utilize your rainbow feeder.

whatchall think, would it work?

If the feeder had ever held trichlor, you're looking at a potential disaster! You simply can not mix different forms of chlorine in a feeder! :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.