First time owning a pool.

Jun 1, 2011
Oakdale, CT
Hey everyone. This is my first pool. I have a 24000 gal, vinyl lined pool running a Hayward DE filter. I was having major problems with algae and got it under control and had a bear of a time getting rid of the dead algae without clogging the filter. (as an aside, the best way to vacuum the pool without gumming up the filter is to use one of those fabric skimmer basket sleeves. They trap nearly all the debris. You just need to clean the sleeve frequently while vacuuming.) now the pool is crystal clear and the only thing being added are the tablets (dichlor? Trichlor?) in an automatic chlorine feeder. Three tablets were put in it about 5 days ago and they're nearly gone. My k2006 kit just arrived and here is what I have. Fc 2.6, cc 0, pH 7.0, ta 0 (1st drop of reagent completely changed the color), cya 0 (the solution never became cloudy). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for advise as to how much of the BBBs and cya I need to add and in what order. Thanks again.

I hope your TA isn't really zero. If it took one drop to change the color from green to red then your TA is 10. Even TA at 10 isn't very good.

If you are going to continue using trichlor tablets, you need to raise the TA to around 140. Then adjust PH up to around 7.6 to 7.8. You can use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much baking soda and soda ash or borax you need to do that.

Before you dump anything in the pool, re-read the test kit directions and try again. It's really easy to grab the wrong bottle. Ask me how I know....

I find TA of 0 to be amazing. But if it really is that low, you'll be needing some Baking Soda. Pool Calculator is your friend for that.

As to the order of adjustment, this article spells it all out. Don't let the title throw you.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not necessarily planning on continuing with the tablets. After reading lots of articles here and user posts, I hope that I will be able to become a diehard BBBer. I will retest everything today to confirm my results.

Ok. So I think I'm pretty close to having everything dialed in.
Fc 5.8
Cc 0.2
CYA 40
TA 90
borate 37
pH 7.8

Purchased a robot (dolphin Atlantis) and it does a great job.

My questions:

Is there anything wrong with borates at 37 instead of 50?

Do I risk raising my CYA too much by using the tricolor?

What setting should my (Hayward) chlorinator be set at?

How often should I run my pump/filter?

How often do I need to add DE? Every time pressure goes up and I bump it? When pressure rises frequently and I bump and discharge?

Why did a person at the pool store say that the idea of CYA/FC ratio is a myth that has been debunked? Was she full of bologna?

Any other suggestions welcomed and greatly appreciate. You guys are all great and have taken away the anxiety of owning/operating a pool. THANKS!

Cjbdvm04 said:
My questions:

Is there anything wrong with borates at 37 instead of 50?
I don't know. I don't use Borates.

Do I risk raising my CYA too much by using the tricolor?
Yes.

What setting should my (Hayward) chlorinator be set at?
If it's a puck feeder, zero.

How often should I run my pump/filter?
Every day. Every pool/pump/filter has it's own personality. Here's an article in Pool School about it.

How often do I need to add DE? Every time pressure goes up and I bump it? When pressure rises frequently and I bump and discharge? Article

Why did a person at the pool store say that the idea of CYA/FC ratio is a myth that has been debunked? Was she full of bologna?
She's ignorant. Go look through the threads in the alage forum - high CYA is a common problem when a pool won't clear up.

Any other suggestions welcomed and greatly appreciate. You guys are all great and have taken away the anxiety of owning/operating a pool. THANKS!
Two final thoughts: One; Go reread Pool School, most questions have been anticipated and are probably answered in there, and Two; You'll need to decide if you will follow the troublefree pool way or the pool store way.

Anytime a pool store employee tells you something that sounds odd, or that one of the principals we teach is untrue or harmful, ask them how they care for their pool. 9 times out of 10 they don't own a pool.

Thanks for the replies again. I am already a disciple of the trouble free method. However, being new to all of this, I can't resist going to the pool store to pick up some floaties for the kids or some random equipment only to see what the snake oil peedlers have to say about certain maintenance protocols.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.