Problem balancing my pool levels

Jun 19, 2010
NE Oklahoma
Moved to a new topic. JasonLion

I'm not sure if this is where I should post but I am also having a problem balancing my pool levels. If possible could someone tell me what I should do next? We opened our pool today, only added water nothing else yet. My readings are:
FC - 0
ph - 7.2
cya - 25
tc - 1
cc - 1
ta - 100 (the water never actually turned red, but was definately pink, should it turn bright red?)

Thanks for any help.

AG, 16 x 32, 54" deep, sand filter

Re: CYA and FC

Karen, you might start your own thread, but is your water green or tinted green? Based on FC of 0 and TC of 1, I'm guessing you have some algae and need to go through the shock process.

On the TA test, you add drops until it starts turning some color in the red family, and then continue adding drops until the color does not change any further. The final drop, which did not change the color, does not count.

If the water is clear, you should bring the FC level up to about 5, and then start working on raising CYA to around 40 or 50. If it is murky or cloudy you should shock, as RobbieH already mentioned.

Thank you Jason Lion and RobbieH for your replies. The water is clear. We are just opening the pool for the season. The Pool Calculator suggest adding:
31 oz shock
27 oz soda ash (not sure what this is)
1 gal bleach

Is this a good place to start?

Be careful adding anything labeled "shock". I realize some of the chlorine products at Leslie's are labeled shock, even though they are just a chlorine carrier with some other chemicals... that is a different story. Your CYA of 25 means you could use trichlor pucks or dichlor for chlorine once you have your FC in the right zone, just be very careful and aware that you don't want to take your CYA too much farther up than where you are already.

In your shoes, I would add enough 6% bleach to get your FC up to the right level, and if you have a floater for pucks and some trichlor pucks already, float one of those in there for now. It'll help hold your FC, and add some CYA to your pool. If you don't have pucks or dichlor already, focus on the bleach for now, get that in the right zone, then keep an eye on the pool for algae. Last time mine dropped that low I lost and had to shock, but my pool tends to get algae easily.

Someone else might jump in, but I see no reason for soda ash at the moment.

Scratch the soda ash and raise your target level for FC to 4 or 5 for your CYA level per the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school. You'll lose probably 2ppm per day. I'd get some CYA in there like others have said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.