Filter 'design flow rate' vs pump flow rate..

rcy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
If my sand filter has a 'design flow rate' of 63GPM, and the 'maximum recommended system flow rate' by pipe size is 45GPM (for 1 1/2" piping) does this basically mean that my pump is moving 45GPM because I have 1.5" piping or that they are recommending that the system doesn't pump more than 45GPM?

Either way if my pump is moving less than the design flow rate of the filter, is that a good or bad thing?

The pump by the way is a Hayward Tri-Star with 1.85 brake horsepower - 1 full rate HP and the filter is a Hayward SM2506T with 3.14 ft2 of filter area (300lbs of sand).

Thanks.

There is no absolute limit, a large pump will move lots of water even in small pipes. Exceeding the flow rate of the pipes really just means that you are wasting energy.

The design flow rate of the filter is more important. The filters ability to filter falls off when you exceed the design flow rate. Just a little over is no big deal, filtering won't be perfect but it will be alright, but a lot over can damage the filter.

Your pump and filter go together alright. We recommend using a larger filter and a smaller pump, but that combination isn't to bad. You will be exceeding the flow rate of your pipes, which means you are wasting some electricity compared to a more balanced system, but again not a serious problem (unless your electric rates are really high).

Thanks for the reply.

I'd always assumed I had 2" pipes, but (after four years :oops: ) I just discovered that they are 1.5" (though I 'think' the flexible section from the top of the pump to the filter is 2" for some reason).

So I am curious now, If I am totally mismatched. When I bought my pool package the pump and filter I was given was a Hayward Powerflo LX 1.5 hp rated at 70GPM. The filter is a dreamline S190TSCP with eff filter of 1.8ft squared and a filter and BW rate of 25 BPM/ft squared. I think it was BPM. It has a design flow of 45 GPM. I run about 15 pounds pressure using I think 100 lbs pea pebbles and I think 25 lbs of Zeobrite. It was 1/2 and 1/2. My pool is clear no issues pressure holds steady. But with a pump at 70 GPM and a filter design at 45 GPM, is this bad? The valve is a HAyward 7 way Sp0714tx. Flow is like a little whirlpool where it gets a little flow going, but my aqualuminator has a little spray out the top kind of like a little fountain. Pentair said it was normal. I use 1 1/2 flex hoses. This was installed last July. Dealer is reputable in this area and he said pump filter were matched good, but now I wonder reading some posts. Any opinions or am I worrying for nothing,

So I am curious now, If I am totally mismatched. When I bought my pool package the pump and filter I was given was a Hayward Powerflo LX 1.5 hp rated at 70GPM. The filter is a dreamline S190TSCP with eff filter of 1.8ft squared and a filter and BW rate of 25 BPM/ft squared. I think it was BPM. It has a design flow of 45 GPM. I run about 15 pounds pressure using I think 100 lbs pea pebbles and I think 25 lbs of Zeobrite. It was 1/2 and 1/2. My pool is clear no issues pressure holds steady. But with a pump at 70 GPM and a filter design at 45 GPM, is this bad? The valve is a HAyward 7 way Sp0714tx. Flow is like a little whirlpool where it gets a little flow going, but my aqualuminator has a little spray out the top kind of like a little fountain. Pentair said it was normal. I use 1 1/2 flex hoses. This was installed last July. Dealer is reputable in this area and he said pump filter were matched good, but now I wonder reading some posts. Any opinions or am I worrying for nothing,

Hi there, I was wondering if i had my equipment mismatched as well? I have a 13500 gallon pool with the same exact pump and filter as you. Just had it installed last august. Just doesnt seem to be filtering my pool correctly. Have you found any answers to your question yet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.