A retreat from Texas heat: nutjob's pool

nutjob

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2011
Dallas
Here are the pictures from the construction of my own pool project. Thanks to Southernwind for making it possible.

The full gallery is also available.

Select Shots

The plan: we had a third-acre lot, but an enormous storm drain easement running through. That limited the size of the pool—and also helped us stay within our budget:
web.jpg

No messing around with Bobcats:
web.jpg

Fine-tuning the excavation:
web.jpg

Rebar'd; the pipes sticking upward are part of the A&A QuikClean system:
web.jpg

Shotcrete application:
web.jpg

Future swim-up bar:
web.jpg

Equipment pad (see the full gallery for more detailed "equipment pr0n"):
web.jpg

Opened up the panel to see if I could fit my own automation add-ons in there (plenty of room):
web.jpg

Stone finish (and a bored daughter) in the sunken kitchen:
web.jpg

Pebble finish:
web.jpg

Curving steps out of the sunken kitchen to completed deck:
web.jpg

Filled & running & nearly complete—save for some weather delays:
web.jpg

Fire+water wok burning fire and pouring water:
web.jpg

Negative-edge spa:
web.jpg

Rainfall scupper behind the swim-up bar:
web.jpg

Grotto, fire+water wok, and the… comfy chair:
web.jpg

We've been heating it since late March (and had some shockingly high gas bills) but those have fallen to reasonable levels recently—likely thanks to the black pebble finish. It's 33ºC (92ºF) right now outside, and the water has climbed to 30ºC (86ºF) on its own. The swim-up bar is a fun diversion, however most of the cocktails I've mixed up have been for the under 12 year old crowd. The rainfall scupper is mostly useless, as the slightest breeze will send its water into the sunken kitchen (there is a sump pump). It was a neat idea, though.

Our contractor was quite responsive until the very end—getting odds and ends finished up took weeks (and months in some cases). We'd probably use them again, but will withhold the final 10% (or more) of payment until absolutely everything's done.

That's it!

that's a friggin' cool setup!

So, I was having this discussion on another thread, I'm curious to know how much it drove up your bill to fire up the heater. Obviously it would cost me more since I am dang near 3 times the size, but I was told between a grand and 1200 a month to run my pool heater for very little gain!!

My white plaster pool is sitting at 84 right now, heater has never been turned on. We will be resurfacing soon, wife wants the same color you have, I'm worried about bath water temps.

The fire/water bowls are really cool. To bad about the water blowing into the kitchen. Have you heard of rain chains? You might be able to modify that rainfall maker a bit and get some use out of it using the rain chains. Very nice build!
EDIT
Can you get a pic from the balcony with full sun hitting the pool? Just like the one with the snow only when its sunny. Thanks

Thanks folks! Appreciated! ^_^

Well RobbieH this is a smaller pool certainly, but here are my gas bills this year (and last year, pre-pool, for reference):

• March 2011 $568.05 (March 2010 was $108.98)[/*:m:1nes29lf]
  • April 2011 $486.68 (April 2010 was $71.34)[/*:m:1nes29lf]
  • May 2011 $29.11 (!!) (May 2010 was $33.90)[/*:m:1nes29lf]

Of course, it was a nasty cold winter too. The pool's thermostat is set for 28ºC (82ºF). Still, I'm surprised at the drop in the bill from April to May. If I may quote the esteemed maxepr1, HEAT! :lol:

Holy S$%T! Nutjob, you quit playing with those fire bowls! I take it the spa is not a closed loop from the pool? This fall I think I would try a cover and maybe a wetsuit!

Robbie, just remember the darker you go the warmer the water is! You may also want to look into cooling towers also. I'm going to buy/make some this year. Tired of 90' water in July!

maxepr1 said:
Holy S$%T! Nutjob, you quit playing with those fire bowls!
HAHA! :lol: :lol:

I take it the spa is not a closed loop from the pool? This fall I think I would try a cover and maybe a wetsuit!
Right. A pair of 3-way actuator valves switch the drains and returns between "pool mode" and "spa mode".

Pool mode: main drain open, spa drain closed, floor-cleaner & skimmers on, spa jets off.
Spa mode: main drain closed, spa drain open, floor-cleaner & skimmers off, spa jets on.

There's also "spillway" mode: main drain open, spa drain closed, floor-cleaner & skimmers off, spa jets on—allegedly to make a pleasing bubbling sound as water percolates down the walls of the spa into the pool. I can't hear it over the traffic noise, though.

Wetsuit . . . yeah, good thinking! :goodjob:

However, I would really love to see your cooling towers once you get going on them!

Our water was bath water last year. I don't know how warm because we had just bought the house and there was no thermometer. I want very light material, and I'm going to win this battle! :) Diamond Brite is on our list of materials to look at, I would love to see pics of yours!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Robbie, if you look under my user name I have posted the pool pictures. I am going to post some new ones this week hopefully now that I'm Borated! We went with DB blue/black quartz, looks good but we should have went darker! I built the pool DEEP (11ft) so the water would warm slower but by july I will be in the mid 90's! Cooling towers going in as soon as beta testing is done! Nutjob, think gas was high wait till you see electric!!!!! Hopefully that pump will help!

RCY, you might reconsider when you realize it can easily be 106 degrees here, and the pool water can be well into the 90s. If you lived here in the 80s, you'll remember several days in the 110+ range and pools so hot people were throwing blocks of ice in (it didn't help!)

Shane1 said:
Can you get a pic from the balcony with full sun hitting the pool? Just like the one with the snow only when its sunny. Thanks

No prob! Here goes:

Looking south:
web.jpg

Looking west:
web.jpg

Taken around 4.45pm local time, so not totally full sun. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks also for recommending rain chains. I had never heard of them before, but a little googling and I've seen the light!

maxepr1 said:
rcy, when it's 105' out and you decide to cool yourself off in your beautiful refreshing pool , bring a bar of soap!! The waters 98' ! No Joy!

RobbieH said:
RCY, you might reconsider when you realize it can easily be 106 degrees here, and the pool water can be well into the 90s. If you lived here in the 80s, you'll remember several days in the 110+ range and pools so hot people were throwing blocks of ice in (it didn't help!)

Send me some heat and I'll send you some cold...lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.