Generic bleach vs. Clorox bleach

May 27, 2011
Can somebody please tell me if generic bleach like wal mart or dollar general,which has 6% on the bottle,is the same as Clorox bleach. A lot of money to pay if they're all the same strength. Thanks for all help.

There are some very minor differences. Clorox is a little more careful to make sure they are always full strength, while some of the discount brands vary a little more, but they are almost always close enough that it is not a big deal. There are also occasional reports that some obscure discount brand is raising the PH more than it should, but that is rare.

Lots of members use the Walmart bleach and, lots use Aldi's bleach. Both have had good results.

Now, as has been said, you gotta' be careful w/the dollar stores, super-duper discount stores, etc. Either the bleach can be old and weak or simply started out weak to begin with. No joy. :(

I checked our local Deals store and Big Lots today. Found a bargain brand at Deals for 1.00 per 96 oz bottle of ultra bleach, but nowhere on the label did it have percentages. So I stayed away from it, and bought 96 oz bottles of White Cloud premium bleach that said 6% for 1.50 a bottle. Is that a good practice to not buy it if it doesn't list the %??

JeepGirl said:
I checked our local Deals store and Big Lots today. Found a bargain brand at Deals for 1.00 per 96 oz bottle of ultra bleach, but nowhere on the label did it have percentages. So I stayed away from it, and bought 96 oz bottles of White Cloud premium bleach that said 6% for 1.50 a bottle. Is that a good practice to not buy it if it doesn't list the %??
YES!

You're a fast learner!

I happened to look at a bottle of Simply Value brand bleach my wife has out in the garage for laundry... 2.75%. I doubt it was a value at all.....

You might want to check out your local ACE Hardware - I get the stronger 10% for slighltly more per gal than the walmart 6% ($1.77 vs $1.99). And - NO - I do NOT work for ACE - even though I've promoted them here. It's just that they have a better deal (IMHO) on chlorine than walmart or the pool stores around here. :wave:

usually use walmart brand, but occasionally wife gets an off brand- she's a couponer, so finds stuff all the time!
She knows to only get 6% or better- some other people (Canadians, I think) even noted some major brands selling 4%!
That's 2/3 (66%) the chlorine, at 75% cost, so actually losing money to achieve same amount in pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my area (Eastern PA), WalMart is selling their 96oz bottles of store brand bleach (6%) at $1.27. Interestingly per ounce, the 96 oz bottles come out cheaper than the larger bottles - go figure! More bottles to carry, but much easier to use - especially since I often find myself needing to add 1 or 2 entire bottles - no measuring! I used it exclusively last summer with great results.

But I checked out Aldi's the other day and found their 6% generic brand for only $0.99. I stocked up and will be trying this brand this summer.

Sometimes the smaller bottles are cheaper per ounce than the larger these days... for everything. Seems companies have trained us that larger is the better value and then turned around and shifted the prices on us. I always check now before I buy anything.

Kind of like how Walmart started out being so much cheaper for everything, now.. I rarely shop there because they aren't cheaper.

Last year I had some issues with Walmart bleach, maybe it was the pool consuming more chlorine than usual. I did not keep good enough records to be sure. Problems went away when I went back to Clorox it seemed. Maybe it was a heat problem with high summer temps, I dunno.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.