Every year mid spring

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey guys,

Every year around early to mid spring the top of my pool gets coated with white ugly stuff. Its obviously coming from trees.
Im guessing its most likely pollen but I dont know.

The filter / skimmers dont keep pace with it and for weeks there is a layer of gunk on top of the pool. You dont really notice it from outside since the pool just looks crystal clear. But when you are in there swimming and eye level with it, its very obvious.

Does anyone else find this annoyance around spring? Is it most likely pollen and if so is there a way to get rid of it? ;-)

LisaM said:
Its probably Cottonwood.

I moved in with my fiance in the winter of 2007 at her parent's house (which is about 45 miles west of where my parents live) and now live another 45 miles west. Until moving in to our current house in May of 2009 I had never seen an abundance of cottonwood, in fact I never even noticed it until moving here!

mitch08 said:
Hey guys,

Every year around early to mid spring the top of my pool gets coated with white ugly stuff. Its obviously coming from trees.
Im guessing its most likely pollen but I dont know.

The filter / skimmers dont keep pace with it and for weeks there is a layer of gunk on top of the pool. You dont really notice it from outside since the pool just looks crystal clear. But when you are in there swimming and eye level with it, its very obvious.

Does anyone else find this annoyance around spring? Is it most likely pollen and if so is there a way to get rid of it? ;-)

You are probably looking at a combination of both cotton woods and pollen. The surface of my pool on sunday looked like a lake with all the dust and dirt on the surface...the problem is that it eventually sinks and it looks like sand no the bottom of the pool.

I like the nylons best. For $4 bucks you can get 20 knee hi nylons at Walgreens...it will last me all season. I scrape it off, and when I vacuum the pool it gets really thick...then I throw it away. Becareful though to check your skimmer basket a couple of times per day because the nylon will get so clogged it can choke off the water flow to the pump...that is not a good thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.