First K-2006 test results

reagan

May 23, 2011
NE Ohio
First off, I have a K-2006 kit on order, so don't beat me! :wink: I picked up an hth 6-way kit from WalMart this morning just to have something to test with.

New AG Intex 16' x 48", just finished filling last night with city water.

I have spent the last hour searching the forums but cannot seem to understand how to interpret the Cl Br results on the hth test and translate to TC.

I'm attaching a photo of my test results. (click to embiggen)

It appears that TC is .5 ppm. And from my Pool School perusal, my TC goal is 6ppm? I'm doing BBB so I intend to add bleach to achieve this level, using the the Pool Calculator. I also need to determine if I need to shock since this result seems so low.

(Also my pH is 7.2, which is nice, since I did absolutely nothing to achieve it. :-D )

Other results:
TA 80ppm
TH no idea -- black dot never disappeared, but since this is a fresh fill, I guess that's normal... right? (Please say it's normal)
I just need someone to hold my hand, pat my head and tell me it's gonna be OK. Thanks.

Re: Converting hth Test Results

You don't need to shock if it's all fresh from the tap. But you do need to get some stabilizer in the water and most definitely more chlorine.

pH looks low; but if TA is 80, it will likely rise some with circulation. Check it again a few hours after you've started things, and see what Pool Calculator says, or just post results and let us guide you.

This article will walk you through things. Be sure you put the right pool surface and so on into the Pool Calculator.

Thank you, I've been reading that article; the TC vs. CL threw me off a little.

So when I enter my numbers into The Calculator, FC should be Now: 1 and Goal: 6?

Thanks for the hand-holding. :oops:

Here's how things should be listed.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
With the 2006 you'll be able to get all those numbers. The kit you have now misses a couple of them.
Your kit measures TC which is FC+CC. You need to add some chlorine to get to 3 ppm. You can use the Pool Calc to figure out how much.
The black dot test is CYA and with fresh fill you won't have any so no use testing that again till you get some in there. You need to go ahead and add enough to get to about 40. You can do that by using dichlor to add FC and CYA till you're there or you can buy stabilizer alone and use bleach to raise the FC while adding the CYA.
The HTH kit also test TH (total hardness) and not CH (calcium hardness) which is what you really want to know. (Only if it's high is it an issue).

Concentrate on adding FC and some CYA till your 2006 arrives.

It's gonna be Ok. I promise.

Climbs down off of the ledge.

Thanks so much. I ordered my test kit shipped FedEx; should be here soon. In the meantime, I used the Pool Calc and added bleach. Kids are going to be so excited to get in when the oldest gets home from school this afternoon! :-D I'm going to retest this evening just to see if there's any change.

First K-2006 test

Got my K-2006 today. Results:

PH 7.6
FC 11
CC 0 (Sample never changed to pink)
TA 100
CH -- (didn't test)
CYA (dot never clouded)

I have not had a chance to pick up dichlor yet, so I used the Pool Calc and bleach... I have to run to Leslie's tomorrow after son #1's baseball practice to pick some up. Any comments on the results so far? Thanks.

Finally got to Leslie's yesterday to pick up some Dichlor. Added last night, let the pump run, and here are my test results this morning:

PH 7.4
FC 9.5
CC 0 (Sample never changed to pink)
TA 100
CH Didn't test
CYA ? dot didn't cloud

Water is still nice and clear.

I've reviewed the photos that demonstrate the CYA test, and I believe that I am doing it correctly. Since I just added the Dichlor last night (10 oz), I'm going to retest tonight. I also picked up a couple of bottles from Leslie's and will have them test it in a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Jason: After reading so many posts from people whose CYA is so high they have to drain... I'm erring on the side of caution. Is it OK to add the dichlor a bit at a time?

@Hawkeye: Agree. I can't believe how much better this test is than the 6-way hth I started out with! I'm a newbie and I can already tell it's worth every penny.

You can raise CYA slowly if you want. But while CYA is low you are going to be losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight. You are correct to be cautious about not raising CYA too high, I would just go in larger steps than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.