chemicals and filter cleaning

Aug 9, 2010
I have to take apart my filter and clean it, so I went and bought the stuff to do so last night, but I also need to adjust my pH, CYA, and my CH is low. My question is, since the filter is already on the pool and I've started to get it going for the year, do I work on adjusting the water first, or cleaning the pump? or does the order even matter? And also, I have a ? about the CH. I've tested and double tested, to make sure my reading is correct, and it is at 130-140. According to this site, and the test kit instructions, it says b/w 200-300 is ideal. Is that accurate for a vinyl above ground pool? So, here are my #'s, using the Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100: (I know chlorine needs work too :) .
FC .5 (last night)
CC 1
TA 120
CH130-140
pH 8.2
CYA 20

Thank You in advance! BTW, I have a 15x30x4ft oval above ground pool with a Hayward EC40 series DE filter (which, I'm using for the first time and didn't realize I needed to wash the fingers first :) so installed it before doing so).

In the Pool School article Recommended Levels, the recommended level for CH in a vinyl pool is 50-300ppm. Yours is fine.

You want to get the pool chlorinated quickly, but you don't want to use your filter without DE. I'd add chlorine, circulate for a couple of hours, then work on the filter. It shouldn't take long.

Thank you! I'm glad I posted my #'s, b/c I thought I needed to increase the CH :) ,but it wasn't sitting well with me. We'll be working on the chlorine & balancing today then! Thank you for your advice!

sorry, one other quick question. is there a wait time b/w adding the chlorine and stabilizer before I can add muriatic acid to bring the pH down? I currently have the CYA hanging from a sock in front of the return, and don't want to overload with chemicals. Thanks!

momofmany said:
sorry, one other quick question. is there a wait time b/w adding the chlorine and stabilizer before I can add muriatic acid to bring the pH down? I currently have the CYA hanging from a sock in front of the return, and don't want to overload with chemicals. Thanks!
An hour should be plenty. If you brush the pool, that will mix things up even faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.