Jun 1, 2011
Norfolk, UK
A quick intro and thanks.

I have had a 32' x 15" trough shaped heated IG pool for 7 years. Initially ran it on Bromine and gas but a rapid increase in cost of both led me to do a major overhaul last year. Now heat is supplied by a heat pump and I have gone over to liquid chlorine fed by a Meiblue automated dosing pump. I use mixture of self maintainence and get a pool operator to do a winter care package (closing and opening mainly).

Last year all was fine and dandy but since opening up rather later than normal this year due to a long winter I have struggled to get it back into balance. Reading a few threads on this site led me to check the CYA levels and found them to be sky high (hence lack of correlation between ORP readings and FC which cost $$$ for a new ORP probe assumed to be at fault). CC levels had also crept up. I suspect the pool operaor dumped in a load of stabilised chrlorine at some point over winter. Have drained a fair bit of water and refilled to get the CYA down to 40 ish and given it a good shock and all is now back to where it should be. Was really scratching my head before coming on here so thanks again.

ps am I alone in taking a test kit on holiday to check pools before letting the kids in?