rxman

May 30, 2008
My current values are:
FC 6
CC 0
CYA 35
pH 7.2
TA 90

My water is not very clear. I can see the bottom and it appears swimmable, but it just doesn't look quite right. I wanted to shock and read that I needed to take my FC up to 15 and keep it there. How long do I keep it there?
In the mean time, I added a half cup of DE to my sand filter. This caused the pressure to go up by 1 to 2 lbs of pressure after 20 min. After 3 hours it is up to 35psi. The normal psi is 22-24psi. I have backwashed and added the DE three times. Each time it goes up 1 to 2 lbs in the first 20 minutes but ends up rising 10-15 psi within 3 hours. Do I have too much DE or is it simply doing its job?

My pool is near a lot of blowing dirt from crops nearby. The dirt settles to the bottom and is then filtered by an infloor system pushing debris to the sand filter.

Re: Understanding shocking as well as adding DE to a sand fi

I would try less DE. That's a significant pressure rise.

When shocking, you continue the process until your water clears, you have 0.5 or less CC, and your FC holds to within 1 ppm overnight. The higher the FC is when you shock, the sooner you will finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.