Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
3 weeks ago we opened the pool. The water was cloudy, the Chlorine was 0, the CYA was close to zero, the pH was <6.9. I spent a week shocking the pool and getting the other factors balanced. The water cleared up, but there was still a little (<0.5) CC so I kept the FC > 10 for quite a while (2 weeks). This is our 4th summer and the CC is almost always 0 and that was where I was trying to get.

Since the CC wasn't going above 0.5 and the water is finally warm enough for swimming, I turned the SWG down last night. It was a nice sunny day so I thought the FC would drop. Well, it did. But the CC went up. Here are my numbers

FC = 4.5
CC = 2.5
pH = 7.5
TA = 80
CYA = 60
Salt = 3090

Yesterday FC was 10 and CC was <0.5.

Any advice? Do I have an algae problem? The water really is crystal clear.

Thanks.

I would say that you have some sort of organic in the water (algae maybe) that is consuming FC. You need to shock, and 10 ppm on the FC is not high enough. Your CYA being 60 means that you need to raise the FC up to 24 to shock, keep it there until the shocking is done. Turn your SWCG off during this process and use bleach. It saves wear on the cell.

With CC at 2.5, you are not done shocking or now have the need to shock again. Were you able to pass the overnight FC loss test before you stopped the previous shock cycle? Any dead wildlife hiding in the plumbing? :shock:

Actually, I cant be 100% sure now that I did turn off the SWG for the overnight test. I think I did, but maybe not. :oops:

So, I've had the Chlorine at 24 for about 24 hours now and the CC is down to less than 0.5. The water is cloudy and there is a bunch of grayish silt like stuff on the bottom. My husband vacuumed it up about 4 hours ago and there is some more now.

Theories

Should I have the fiter still on? The SWG is off. Going to do an overnight test tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.