foam board (2") underlay and legs/pavers question.

Apr 8, 2011
intex 14x42" ultraframe

The excavation is (nearly) complete, now for the the underlay. I planned on using the blue/pink stuff, 2" (my ground is very solid clay and very rocky). My area checks out to be quite level so far. What I don't get is how can there be 2" of foam under the liner, and then the paver is set flush with the ground. Wouldn't there be a 2" difference around the top? Do I not set the pavers flush, but level them with the foam? I did have to dig down several inches, so the pool will be below grade in places. What am I not getting?

victoria
chicago

I used leveling blocks for my oval pool , 8x12 on the sides and pavers for the oval ends , 1/2" polystyrene on top of sand put my liner flush and level with the top on the bottom rail added cove and liner and water ! It really was that easy.

auntlavender said:
I think I just figured out my own question! I don't need pavers. If I make my foam 16', the legs stand on the foam too! Is this too good to be true?

yes!!! if u have poles, then the poles may crush thru the foam!!! i had this happen to me last year when i used a foam base. make sure the foam can handle whatever the wieght of your pool after its filled!!!! i found that out the hard way!!!!
everything needs to be level from the start. if u leave the blocks above the foam or base then the pool is suspened up from the ground and will cause your liner to tear apart.

i would big out the spots where u need to put the pavers so the top of the paver is level with the final ground for the pool!!!
also if this pool is brand new, the poles will move alil bit once the water gets in there. make sure i leave enough room for that also, u dont want any corners of the pavers to rub the liner!!! for instance i used 2by6's(cut to 7"s) under my feet last year, i made sure the poles where right in the middle of the boards, once the pool started to fill and i was walking around checking it out, i noticed to poles where not where i had them.....so as it was filling i had to move some around just a bit......
sure wish i had used pavers like everyone else.

bullweevelus said:
auntlavender said:
I think I just figured out my own question! I don't need pavers. If I make my foam 16', the legs stand on the foam too! Is this too good to be true?

yes!!! if u have poles, then the poles may crush thru the foam!!!

i would big out the spots where u need to put the pavers so the top of the paver is level with the final ground for the pool!!!
Does this mean the pavers are level with the ground, or level with the foam?

bullweevelus said:
also if this pool is brand new, the poles will move alil bit once the water gets in there. make sure i leave enough room for that also, u dont want any corners of the pavers to rub the liner!!! for instance i used 2by6's(cut to 7"s) under my feet last year, i made sure the poles where right in the middle of the boards, once the pool started to fill and i was walking around checking it out, i noticed to poles where not where i had them.....so as it was filling i had to move some around just a bit......
sure wish i had used pavers like everyone else.

I just came back from HD with 6x6x3 (square) bricks. Do you think I should go out tomorrow and get 12x12 pavers? Also, I cheaped out and bought white foam (3/4" thick, 4' x 28") because it came in sheets of 6 and was easier to manager in the store and half the cost of the pink foam. Do you think I should take those back as well and get the pink foam? It was quite a bit more thank I thought it would be. I think I'll need 8 sheets----the 2" is cost prohibitive, it would be the 1".

Victoria

I used the white foam and the bottom track was even with my foam so the cove moulding butted up nicely and I taped all the seams and also the cove molding then set the liner in place . I also tried the shop vac method but the pool being so large did not really work for me .

The 6x6 does not give you a hole lot of of wiggle room. That is what I used but I knew where my legs were going to be (for the most part) from the year before. I used the 1" white foam 1 year, did not last even that year and that was under a 10'x8' blowup pool. Went with the 1 1/2" pink the next under and 18' easy set, that lasted a 4-5 years, the 2' pink that I have now is about 4 years and still is good.

mcoonan said:
The 6x6 does not give you a hole lot of of wiggle room. That is what I used but I knew where my legs were going to be (for the most part) from the year before. I used the 1" white foam 1 year, did not last even that year and that was under a 10'x8' blowup pool. Went with the 1 1/2" pink the next under and 18' easy set, that lasted a 4-5 years, the 2' pink that I have now is about 4 years and still is good.

This is exactly the kind of information I need. I'll be heading back this morning with my receipt, and white foam (I might keep the 6x6. They're kind of cute and I could use them somewhere else.)

auntlavender said:
mcoonan said:

This is exactly the kind of information I need. I'll be heading back this morning with my receipt, and white foam (I might keep the 6x6. They're kind of cute and I could use them somewhere else.)

yes i would take back the white foam, that is what i used and it got crushed. i went with nothin other than the green astro turf stuff. just leveled the ground and rolled out the turf stuff and put pool on top of it. really wish i would of given myself an extra 1/2 day to put down the pavers.....ive got some sinkage under a couple poles....

as far as the "size of pavers", i can not go down that road just yet.

all i can stress is that the poles on all my pools moved slightly once pool was filling....i had to run around and check to make sure that each one was on the supports that i used. even after the pool was filled i had some that where barely on them....
i would think the bigger the better, however, u do not want the corners of your pavers to come in contact with your pool liner.....which could happen if your pool sinks any. which it shouldnt if u have solid ground.

im still 50/50 on the whole foam thing....i loved the soft bottom, however, replacing 3 pools this year was killer, cuz i have my pool filled by a pool water guy and i did alot of what i thought where improvements.....it wasnt till i started sharing my problems here on the forum this year, that i realized i was killing my pools.....by actually keeping it above my level ground....
i put down that same cheap white foam, then used nicely sanded 2 by 6's for my supports, however i left the supports above the foam, cuz last year i noticed the poles crushed thru the foam....i did not realize that the foam was crushing in the middle of the pool as it was filling, so i was causing my liner to stress and all 3 of them ripped out after about 3 days...just long enugh for me to dump in 120lbs of salt each time......
i was advised to ditch the foam and just put pool up on my sandy surface....i did that but i did add the green astro turf stuff before i put pool up....
like i said i got a lil sinkage, but its only about an inch on the back side....
ive already got my ideas for next year. and pavers is #1 on the list!!!! ive got about 11 months to figure out the size..... oh and trying to get crook to move to michigan for a month to build me what he built for his family!!!

good luck! hope i helped out some! i sure dont want anyone to go thru what i went thru this year!!!

i refused to ask for help, typical guy thing i guess....im sure glad i finally posted my issues here! i was kinda :oops: .....who wants to post they filled 4 pools in 2 weeks....now i happy to share my stupidness as u can see in my sig below....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.