High Cholrine bleaching out other tests?

This might be a stupid question, but I have heard of tests bleaching out is is possible for higher concentrations of Chorline bleaching out my other tests?

I opened my pool using dichlor 3oz a day 4 days ( if I am understaning the Pool school info correctly 1 oz per 500 gals and i have about 1,500 gals) Next year I am not using dichlor I am just going to do bleach and a sock of the CYA stuff as It is partially shaded and it takes forever for the cholrine to disipate so I want more control.

Test for Free chlorine is on the way so my chorline results are estimated based on pool calculater and a diluted 2:1 ratio on the oto test.

Chlorine 15- 30ppm ( oto diluted is darker that then 5 shade and more school bus yellow, so over 15ppm, and pool calculater said that the 4 doses of dichlor would have given me a chorline of 30 ) not going this route again Will have better #s this week due to test in the mail.

temp is about 71
hardness when i added the indicator it should have turned red....If I held it up to the paper and I could barely see a tinge of pink. this is why I think it is bleaching out, because our tap water is hard, I generally start out at like 400 for hardness and get it around 200...So i doubt there is no hardness in my water!!!

PH 7.5< not quite 7.2 closer to 7.5 no change in ph color since adding the dichlor

Alkalinity the indicator I put in did show green, but when I added the tirant drops after about 21 drops it turned the color ivory instead of red so i stopped adding drops as it should go from green to red?

CYA according to the pool calculater the dichlor i added should have brought it to about 30, infact I expexted less due to the horrible rain we have had since i opened the pool last week. According to the test its around 40.

Not that it matters horribly as we can"T swim until we get Chlorin down, but still I don"t want to waste tests, and don"t want to but new tests if my water is the culprit and not the tests.

The tests are from last season walmart oto kit for CYA, Chorline, PH, hardness, Alkalinity they were stored in the garage all winter so that could affect them too, but I am thinking it may be bleaching out ??

Very high FC levels affect many of the tests. Depending on what brand/model of test kit you are using the effects may completely invalidate the results, or just cause the tests to behave differently, while still giving valid results.

As a general rule the PH test never works when FC is above 20, and depending on the brand it may become unusable at lower FC levels. The TA and CH tests tend to show valid results, even though the colors are different, but in some test kits both colors bleach out and the test isn't usable. Test strips almost never work. The black dot CYA test is mostly unaffected, with some chance of being just a little bit off.

Thank you, at least I am not loosing my mind. I will wait until it drops to do anything further.

Do you think the FC levels would cause the CYA to read higher or lower...I was expecting it to be around 30 or lower and it was 40... I might have to go and buy more CYA tests...sigh should have ordered when i got my FC test :hammer:

hopefully the wind will die down here and i can remove the cover and work on my FC levels. Do you think the high FC will destroy the solar cover and i should switch to the more elevated cover until it drops?

:rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.