Advice needed about a possible new inground pool build

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Hi Everyone, :wave:

This summer I will be looking at getting an in-ground vinyl liner pool built and would like some advice in reference equipment, returns, skimmers, main drains and slides.

Since I have been on this site I have learned so much on pool care and water chemistry and now we are ready to get a permanent pool. I will be listing some of the items I'm looking at getting for the pool.

I want to keep all of the equipment from the same company and I like Hayward but I am open for suggestions about other companys. I may start to purchase the equipment before hand.

Size:
We are wanting a free form pool about 20' x 30 with an 8' deep end. There will be NO diving board on this pool just a slide. Slide suggestions are welcome.
Filter:
Looking at the Hayward 300lbs sand filter with multi port.
Pump:
Looking for a good 1hp or 1.5hp 2 speed pump. Suggestions would be welcome.
Skimmer:
looking at getting 2 skimmers. Each one on its own line to the equipment pad. NOT connected together. Suggestions welcome.
Main Drain:
1 main drain on its own line to the equipment pad. NOT through the skimmer.
Returns:
4 returns with each one on its own line from the equipment pad with individual ball valves on each return. I want to be able to control each return independently.
Suction Line:
1 dedicated suction line for auto cleaner.
Automation:
Not really looking for any automation except for a SWG. Suggestions are welcome.
Lighting:
LED. Suggestions are welcome.
Plumbing:
Looking at 2" for the suction side and 1.5" fro the return side. Suggestions are welcome

Please, any comment or suggestions are welcome.

I suggest a larger filter. I recommend the Pentair WhisperFlo pump. The main drain should be a dual main drain with a single line back to the equipment pad. In order of increasing price, I suggest the CompuPool, AquaRite, and AutoPilot SWGs.

Thanks for the reply Jason.

What sand filter is larger than a 300lbs. I thought that was big. Thanks for reminding me about the dual main drain. Do you have a model number for the pump? Looking for a 2 speed. would a 1hp or 1.5 be better? Are my other ideas ok?

:cheers:

I would go with a DE filter, not sand. Whisperflo or Intelliflo pump and 2 main drain set-up. Aqua-logic system for the SWG and run 2" lines thoughout. Maybe I would add 2 more returns seperate from the other 4 and valve them, can be used for future goodies like cooling towers. Also Colorlogic LED's for lighting.

If I never intended to have a diving board, I would reduce the depth to around 6'.

It will give you noticeably more standing room in your pool and the slide area can safely get by with perhaps as little as 4-5' depth

Everyone,

Broadway Pools out of Austin is coming tonight to give an estimate on an in-ground vinyl liner pool. They use Hayward for there pools.
I want to sound like I know what I want and don't want them to try and sell me something I don't need or want. I'm looking for a sand filter and a 2 speed pump and chlorinator.
Please help with some model numbers and sizes for a Hayward pump and filter. Largest Sand filter and 1 hp 2 speed pump. I'm not sure what chlorinator they use.

Any recommendations would be great.

Pb's will get any equipment you want to get your business! They are Hayward because the move allot of there products so the PB is getting a better price. I would go with a Aqualogic SWG system (hayward) and a Pentair FNS DE filter. As for pumps if your electric rate are below .13c a 2 speed Pentair pump. Pentair IMO builds a much better pump and much easier for the homeowner to work on when it needs it. 2" plumbing with at least 2 skimmers and as many returns as you can afford. Polaris 280 vac. with booster pump, stay away from 380 or the new ones with the belt drives. LED lighting I like Colorlogic, cheaper to run but a little expensive to start. But remember the lifespan of a LED is double that of regular lights. How a pool are we talking?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,
I have a pool approx the size you are looking to build, it is gunite though, not vinyl. It has all hayward equip. I have a s244t 300 lb sand filter, a 1 hp Hayward super pump, I have a Hayward in line chloronator (only used while we are out of town though), I manual dose with bleach. I also have a Polaris 280 w 3/4 hp booster pump and love it! It cleans it's way around the pool floor, walls and all the way to the top of the tile. :goodjob: We also have a colorlogic led, my wife loves the light shows and i must admit it is pretty cool looking at night. Our pool is 6' deep, perfect for me to stand in the deepend with a beverage in my hand my head poking out of the water! :cheers: I have been pleased with all the equipment to date, it is set up on dual intermatic timers, with the cleaner running 2x a day for 1 HR each time, and the pump running 10 hrs during the day. It keeps the water crystal clear you can drop in a dime and tell if it is heads or tails in the deep end. Which I attribute to this wonderful site!!! :party: :whoot:

Good morning TFP! :wave:

I would like to start off by thanking everyone who has helped me become pool smart!!!! :goodjob:

Last night Richard (the owner of Broadway Pools out of Austin TX) came by to discuss installing a vinyl In-ground pool. After the introduction we sat down and the first words from him was "Do you have any idea of what you want for your pool?" I have had many other pool estimates and all the other pool companys started to sell there specific style of pool they like without knowing what I'm looking for. :blah: Anyways, back to last night. I started to tell him what my requirements were for the pool and he just listened and took notes. Never interupted and never tried to steer me in a different direction. Just listened. After I was done he put his pen down and said "You are the first future pool owner I have talked to that knows how pools function and understand what it takes to have a great pool." He told me that the vast majority of his customers just ask for a nice pool to be built and takes what is presented to the customer. He normaly deals with new pool owners. I know I'm green behind the ears but I have a secret weapon its called TFP!!! :party: The one thing that really impressed him was my requests for the plumbing to be plumbed a certain way. Individual lines for all skimmers, MD, returns and cleaner line with ball valves on each line. No one has ever asked for that from him before. He loved the control I wanted to have over my pool. This whole conversation was before we even steped outside in the backyard to talk about the shape and location of the pool.

As we walked out side in to the back yard he asked me "Is that an Intex pool?" My reply was "Yes it is" His response was "It can't be, the water in an Intex pool can't get that clean and clear!" I then went in to how I take care of the water and he was just amazed at the water. He asked me what I'm useing to test my water and when I showed him the test kit (TF-100) he could not believe what he saw. He has heard of the kit but had never seen one before and congratulated me. I think he put his hands in the pool a 100 times. I never once told him where I learned how to take care of my pool. Didn't want to give away my secret.

We then started to talk about the equipement. I told him I was looking for a 1hp or 1.5hp 2 speed pump and the largest sand filter he can get and a SWG. His response was how about a 2hp pump with a 300lbs filter. When I told him I didn't want the flow rate from the pump to out due the flow rate of the filter he backed off and recomended a 1.5hp with at least a 400lbs filter I think. I know it was bigger than his first suggestion. He did try and sell me an inline puck chlorinator but when I said I use bleach he said "Good Job."

We settled on a 24' x 38' free form with a 6' deep end.
2 Skimmers
4 Returns
1 Dedicated suction line for cleaner
4 wheeled "The Pool Cleaner" Suction side
1 Dual main drain
1 Swimout in the deep end
1 1.5hp 2 speed pump (He can get any brand so no model was set)
400lbs sand filter or bigger with multi port valve(same as the pump not sure what brand yet)
1 Slide
2 Color logic LED lights
1 Ladder in deep end
1 SWG (Not sure what brand yet)
All plumbing is 2" suction and return. Each run to equipment pad will be own line with ball valves to include skimmers and MD

I will get a quote with multiple prices to reflect the differnt brands he can get I will post quote when I get it.

All of the phases of the build will be done in house. He does not sub contract any work. I will also get a list of pool his company has built so I can go look at.

All in all I thought last night went very well. I was impressed with him as he was with me.

Let me know what you think.

Mark, remember an educated consumer can very dangerous! Sounds like he's not going to try to shoot you any BS! Looks pretty good! Is the the pool a perfect rectangle? If so the lighting should be enough. I would place the lights on the house side so they don't blind you when looking from that side. I would add some more returns 2-4 if you can afford. With 4 there are going to be dead spots. If you have a sprinkler system see if you can tie it in for autofill or add an autofill system. Very cheap to put in now than later. Why a ladder and not steps? IMO Pentair builds the best pumps.

maxepr1 said:
Mark, remember an educated consumer can very dangerous! Sounds like he's not going to try to shoot you any BS! Looks pretty good! Is the the pool a perfect rectangle? If so the lighting should be enough. I would place the lights on the house side so they don't blind you when looking for that side. I would add some more returns 2-4 if you can afford. With 4 there are going to be dead spots. If you have a sprinkler system see if you can tie it in for autofill or add an autofill system. Very cheap to put in now than later. Why a ladder and not steps? IMO Pentair builds the best pumps.
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to add the steps in my post. There will be a 10' wide entry area into the pool along with the ladder in the deep end. I will take your advice on adding more returns, I don't want any dead spots. I do have a sprinkler system and didn't even think about the auto fill, Thanks!!! :goodjob: The light will be on the house side. I have been to homes with pools that had the lights on the oposite side and couldn't even look in the pool becuase they were so bright. The builder and I will talk again about the equipment. He can get me what I want so I'm in no hurry for that right now.

Thanks for the help.

Since I have a pool up already, if we dicide to get the pool the build will start early to late fall. I don't want to shorten my kids swim season. They won't swim in the winter so that is a good time. The PB also said the price will be cheaper if I wait till this fall or winter.

Diagram of pool. Please feel free to pick a part with any changes or recommendations.

I added 2 returns to the steps.

vinylpool1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.