Should I be concerned?

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
I swam down to the bottom of my pool this weekend and noticed the main drain does absolutely nothing. There is no suction there at all. I do not have valves to turn on or off my skimmer or main drain, they are tied together. Strangely, during a leak test last year they determined they are tied together, so I'm baffled as to why there's no suction at the main drain. Should I be concerned that I have a 44,000 gallon pool being circulated by just one skimmer on the side of the pool? As long as my robot is working, the pool stays clean.

Given the pool's age (around or over 50 years) I don't think I'll find the builder. :) When they were closing lines and such to perform their tests, they said it was strange but they are directly tied together with just one line running back to the pump. As stated in the other thread, I might go down to the bottom with some dye to determine if there's anything at all being pulled. Also, I'm assuming if they really are tied directly together I should be able to close the skimmer and have more pull at the main drain?

It's odd that they'd be tied directly together under the ground. The more common way is to tie the MD into the bottom of the skimmer. Do you have two holes in the bottom of the skimmer.

Let's assume that they are tied under the ground, then what you propose would create more suction in the MD. You could use a diverter to close off the skimmer partially and leave it in permanently.

There are two holes, one has a plug in it. There is also a hole into the pool, which has an expanding rubber plug in it. I'll get pictures when I get home.

Based on receipts and other evidence I found, I believe the skimmer was upgraded in 1989 to 1991. I'm betting it had one of the old copper tubs in there before!

I didn't get to get into the pool last night and check the drain with dye. I did snap these this morning. I had to get one of the robot crawling the bottom at 7' deep, water is really clear!

skimmer2.jpg

skimmer.jpg

drain.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.