Shelf life of TF100 testers

Jul 3, 2007
Maryland
I've had my full kit for over three years and have only purchased the chlorine tester (stored at 72 degrees). I recently used the Calcium test, nd while the solution didn't mix well, the color changed as expected. Is it time for new testers?

Taylor says to replace everything once a year, but in practice the reagents usually last much longer, especially if they have been carefully stored. The first things to go bad are the indicator dyes. Watch to see if they stain the plastic bottle. If they do they are bad.

Is your reagent in an original Taylor bottle with a batch number, such as 2082C, printed on it? If so, you can phone Taylor Technologies and they can tell you if your reagents are Fresh, Usable, or if they need to be replaced. Of course, this has to do with age only; proper storage and handling assumed.

Lana

grivera....my CH test has ALWAYS done the "curdled" blue look when changing back from pink to blue since it was brand new..so I don't think that's an issue...at least I hope not..as mine has done that for over a year now.

Dan

Lana537 said:
Is your reagent in an original Taylor bottle with a batch number, such as 2082C, printed on it? If so, you can phone Taylor Technologies and they can tell you if your reagents are Fresh, Usable, or if they need to be replaced. Of course, this has to do with age only; proper storage and handling assumed.

Lana

Mine is in a plain clear generic bottle with a white label- no batch number. Always stored at room temp on top of my china cabinet- not in direct light

Sorry for bringing up an old thread....but it's better than starting a new one if I can find my answer. :D

I'm going to switch from Baquacil to BBB at the end of the season, and am going to buy the test kit to help me out. I'm kinda concerned about buying a $70 kit just for the switch however. What tips can you give me to at least be able to use the kit next summer as well, or should I be worried and just hold off on this purchase??

Thanks again.......

If you switch from Baq to BBB you'll be able to use your kit next year to maintain your pool. In fact, switching from Baq, I recommend the TF-100 with the XL option and the SpeedStir. You'll be testing a lot during the conversion and you'll need the extra reagents. You're going to need a good test kit whenever you switch not only for the conversion but for the maintenance afterward. Consider it an investment. You'll spend a good bit on the kit but it'll save you hundreds on pool store chems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.