New Pool Owner...

May 31, 2011
I don't know if this is the right section for this but..

I just bought a house that came with a fairly large pool/sp. Never had a pool before but I got an excellent deal on the house but I'm finding the pool a lot of work, lol :p I didn't put much thought into the pool but for the last 3 days I've been working turning it from a nasty green pool to a clean pool and I think I'm doing alright. Someone's been helping me a little and it's a cloudy blue now so that's good I guess. The whole thing was a mess (took a day or two to get the pump running and figuring out how to work everything... it was a short sale so I like got NO info on the pool at all aside from, "it works". Luckily, my dad knew someone with a similar pool filter/system. Anyway... headache but should be alright and it's starting to look nice so I'm happy.

Anyway... the part I'm starting to become concerned about is kids. I don't have any kids myself. I don't live in the house right now, I stop by everyday but currently just working on fixing it up. But I've noticed there are kids EVERYWHERE in the neighborhood. Maybe I'm starting to become a little paranoid but... what do I need to do to keep my self from getting in trouble if something happens? I would feel absolutely terrible but I don't wanna have to worry about getting in trouble for a kid or some idiot sneaking in for a swim and getting hurt/killed.

Welcome to TFP!

A fence with a locked gate is pretty mandatory. Beyond that there isn't a whole lot you can do. Some people use motion sensing alarms, but they tend to have false positives and annoy the neighbors.

My dogs wouldn't let kids into my yard. One of them hates kids. Seems to be a pretty good deterrent for me.

My yard has a 4' chain link fence (luckily we can't see it because I hate the appearance). In other words, kids could get into my yard very easily, not counting the dogs of course. One gate is locked, one has some sort of a gate I assume is a requirement if you have a pool. It's not locking, but it is self-closing and has a magnetic latch, and the release is high enough and complex enough that a small child would not be able to open it.

My recommendation is talk to your insurance company and see what they require. Mine said what I have is enough, but I've heard of others that have higher requirements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.