Pool opening. What order the chemicals need to be added?

LeeM2

Jul 3, 2010
I can't find a post which explained which chemicals need to be added and in what order. I remember seeing one, but can't find it anymore. I remember it mentioned the order in which chemicals need to be added and the intervals.

I'm about to open my pool and I have FT-100 from last year which may or may not be good. What do I need to check\add first? I understand it all depends on water reading, but assuming some or most are off should the chlorine go in first regardless or should something else be adjusted first (if needed. cya,ph,etc..)? This is my 2nd season and I went through heck last year with leslies so I'd like it to be trouble free this time :)

Thanks

The best thing is to post PH, TA, and CH test results from your fill water and we will walk you through the whole process.

Basically, if TA is really low raise it to at least 50.
If PH is really low or really high get PH basically in range (7.2 to 7.8).
Add chlorine.
Add CYA.
Fine tune everything more slowly as needed. Try to do CH on a day when nothing else is happening.

Reactions: JW1
Chlorine 0
PH 8.2 or more
TA100
Calcium 500-600
CYA 70 (not 100% positive on this one. Will need to get supplies and test again)

the test kit is from last year. Pool was opened 4 hours ago and pump was running for about 2 hours

What do I need to do first, add chlorine or lower PH?

Thanks

LeeM2 said:
Richard320 said:

How soon can I add chlorine after PH has been adjusted?
Give it half an hour at least. Another good way to judge is by adding acid, then grab the brush and go around the pool once, brushing the whole thing. Guaranteed it will be thoroughly mixed by then, and you can go ahead and dump your bleach in.

Interesting thing - according to aqua chem test kit PH is at 7.6 or so, while Taylor now shows 8.2, maybe even 8. I ran pump for a few hours.
Both kits were purchased last year

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.