AARRGGHH!!!!, Nieghbours dog destroyed my pool!

Beep

Feb 13, 2011
I am so Beepin MAD!!!
I had the worst day last week, went out to go to work, and noticed someone hit my truck, then later that morning, my dog began to bark at the window to our back yard, so my wife looked out the window to see the nieghbours dog stuck in the pool cover trying to get out. My wife quickly went out and tried to get the dog out of the pool, the dog was frantic and tried biting my wife when she approached, she did however manage to get it free from the solar cover. The dog began swimming around the pool trying to get out using it's claws, it scratched and punctured the liner all the way around the pool, untill it finally got out. now I have to get a new liner, and the pool is less than a month old. I tried patching the rips that I could find, however I still see damp spots on the ground so I'm pretty sure there is more, but can't find them.
This is the second time I've had that Dang dog in my yard, last time it dug under the fence and detroyed my grass. My wife took the dog back next door, and all the nieghbour said was why is my dog wet, and didn't even apologize. And to add insult to injury, I looked at the back of his van, and it had a dent in it that corresponds to my truck, with the same color paint smeared on both his and my vehicles. AARRGGHH!

It would be very reasonable to ask for them to pay, or to take them to small claims court if they do not. Be sure to have pictures, and any other proof you could think of (pic of the hole under the fence). You may also need to prove that you had done enough to keep the dog out. Like a fence around the pool.

Reactions: Ignoramus
I talked to him, and he agreed to pay for a new liner, at first he asked if I would just patch it! I said no, because it was brand new, and it has more than a few scratches and holes. I then told him how someone hit my truck and looked closely at him to see his reaction, but was unable to determine if he knew about it, I'm pretty sure it was his wife who backed into my truck, she has been known for just parking in the middle of the street in our court blocking all of our driveways.

I ordered my liner, and told my neighbor, that wasn't the only cost associated with this, there is the cost of the water disposal, new water supply, chemical startup and water balancing, initial heating cost to bring it up to temp.
I'm charging him $575 for the liner including delivery, and $175 for the water, unless he want's to use his hose and fill it up himself. I told him I'll take care of the install, chemicals, and heating costs, I think I've been nice about this considering his dog has been loose in our court several times before.

You are being super nice about this. Sounds like you figured it out, I'm thinking his homeowners would be on the hook though so if he gives you a hard time when the bill comes, you may be able to pursue that avenue and file a claim with them. My dh is an attorney and although he isn't here to ask right at the moment, I know he always says anything with dogs is strict liablit,y meaning if your dog does something damaging you are automatically liable.

It's always cheaper for everyone if you can just settle it yourselves but this is pretty cut and dry that it is the neighbors fault. So if he doesn't comply then I'd pursue it with his homeowners policy.

Think about calling the cops next time also. They likely won't go arrest anyone for a wayward dog but if you have to go to small claims court or argue with his homeowners insurance a police report will lend legitimacy to your claim. Heck maybe the officer will issue a citation of some sort to your horrible neighbor.

This is late but If I were you, next time their dog was in my yard, I would call animal control. The nice fines that they will receive are pretty encouraging to keep their pooch in their own yard. Oh and about the animals being a liability.. I think it depends on your local laws because I hit a horse that got spooked while being moved to new owners and it totaled my car. I spent 14 months trying to get compensation for my car and the final verdict was that no one "intentionally" let the horse go, and that no one could be charged. But, I guess that might just be Georgia... I hope you were able to get your neighbor to pay!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beep said:
I then told him how someone hit my truck and looked closely at him to see his reaction, but was unable to determine if he knew about it, I'm pretty sure it was his wife who backed into my truck, she has been known for just parking in the middle of the street in our court blocking all of our driveways.

And why haven't you pulled your truck up to the van and matched up the dents and show him the paint on his van?

Duuude! Too nice!!

You are a great neighbor, without dought....too great. None of this should impact your wallet at all. They need to pay for the startup chemicals too. They also need to be held accountable for your truck. Its not your fault man. Don't accept any responsibility. I can't stand those people! I would definitely take pictures and also have your insurance adjuster come take a quick look at both vehicles.......even if you don't intend to pursue the situation. Careful documentation should be priority #1, even if its just going into your file cabinet. I can't believe he didn't apologize to your wife and thank her to no end for getting his d@mn dog. I would have been sick to my stomach if my dog did that to my neighbors pool. Did you at least get to choose a liner that you may like more than your other one?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.