40k Gal pool, levels within spec, pool still cloudy.

May 28, 2011
I opened my pool a week and a half ago... It was a swamp like it is every year at opening due to a stone fixture that makes it impossible to keep leaves/debris from entering. That issue aside.
After vacuuming/shocking/brushing the pool daily my water is still cloudy.
I've tried adding DE to the skimmers to boost filtering.. no effect.
My readings are all in spec, apart from CH which is low.
FC 3-10.0 i let it drop for two days to swim in.
PH 7.2
TA 100
CH 110
CYA 30

Im starting to think the problem is in my filter (Pentair TR-100 Sand filter) as ive seen a dusting of sand at the bottom of the pool under one of the returns. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to troubleshoot the filter for issues? I've always kind of been of the mindset that if the pressure is correct, its good to go. Also, fyi the sand in the filter is only two years old.

Thanks,

M.Walsh

Welcome to TFP!

How does your filter pressure behave? It should be zero when the pump is off. And fairly stable when the pump is on, but rising slowly over days or weeks. If you haven't backwashed the filter in a long time, try backwashing it now.

How long as it been since you started shocking?

Have you backwashed recently? Doe sthe sand come out every time the pump starts, or just after backwashing?

You say your pool is still cloudy. Can you post your CC or TC numbers? Do you hold FC overnight?

It took several days, more like a week, to clear the white cloudiness from my pool after shock.

We have the same filter and about the same size pool.

TC is at 3 when your FC is at 3 or when it's at 10? Huge difference. To go along with Jason's question, are you still shocking now, and for how long if so? What is your psi after backwashing?

TC drops more than FC... They havent been in a 1 to 10 ratio for me.
After i shock the pool, the FC gets to 10 as does the TC.
But then overnight TC drops to ~3 while FC remains constant till the sun hits it.

I havent been watching the PSI as closely as I should.. After back washing its normally ~26-29 PSI, then stabilizes at 30psi. Once it creeps above 35psi, i backwash.

So let me make sure I understand:
Beginning of night, TC is 10 and in the AM it is 3?
Also, your FC remains 10 through the night?

The math doesn't work for me, I don't see how you could have a TC of 3 and an FC of 10.

Went to the pool store and had them test the water to get exact results..

Temp: 78
Saturation Idx -0.5
TDS 400
CYA 70
Tot Chlorine 3.7
free Chlorine 3.7
PH 7.5
Tot Alk 93
Adj Total Alk 72
Tot. Hardness 95

Last night, i shocked/brushed/vacuumed the pool again.
I also put in 10lbs of BP300 before bed and 6 cups of baking soda this morning.

CYA at 70 is very different from CYA at 30. If CYA is really 70 you have been using way too little chlorine. Shock level with CYA at 70 is around 24.

What kind of "shock" are you using? Can you tell us the chemical name on the ingredients list, or the brand name?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I have a suggestion, but I am open to comment from the experts.

You hvae a big pool. It's going to take you a tanker of 6% bleach to shock your pool. Ask me how I know (look at my details!).

I am guessing you have a plaster/concrete/gunite pool. (post more info on your setup!). If so, your hardness is low, if that test is accurate. In that case, you can use Cal Hypo powder to shock, and it'll get your calcium up at the same time. You should be able to go through the entire process without overrunning your CH limits. Unfortunately, I don't have at hand a quick reference to tell you how many pounds of Cal Hypo would get you up to 300, hopefully someone can chime in. It would be a LOT though in your pool.

Do you have a salt water pool or no? Again, more details would be good.

Your CYA is north of where you need it to be, but manageable. Just make sure you shock appropriate to the level of CYA. Once you go through that process, your pool should clear.

Does anyone disagree with Cal Hypo in his situation? IMO it would be beneficial to get his CH up.

RobbieH said:
30-50 for a non-salt pool. poolcalculator.com can help you with targets (select troublefreepool.com as your goal levels at the bottom) and with measurements when you need to make additions.

Those ******** at the pool store had me put in more stabalizer when my CYA was at 30 last week.

A little more won't hurt. There are plenty running 50 here. I shoot for 40 to be in the middle, and it leaves me room to float some pucks if I am going to be gone for a long time (although I don't need to do this anymore since getting the liquidator). 70 is a bit high for a non salt water pool, but you should be able to manage it. As you are seeing though, shock level needs to be a lot higher.

Just thought id stop by and thank you guys for the help.. and post a couple pictures of my pools progress from swamp to pool. :-D

my swamp..
P1000378.jpg

after a day and just a couple gallons of bleach/scrubbing/vacuuming :wink:
P1000390.jpg

another day, more scrubbing/bleach
P1000393.jpg

This is about where I was when I started this thread
P1000412.jpg

after following the ideas in this thread for 3 days.
P1000486.jpg

as it stands now.
P1000503.jpg

Thanks again.

M.Walsh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.