Now just slightly green

LisaM

May 26, 2011
So I have kept my chlorine high, rest of the water balances out. Got most of the green out. Now the pool is clear, I can see the bottom, but what I would describe as the color of the Gulf of Mexico... slightly green, slightly blue. At this point would an algaecide make sense to help kill of the last of it? Do I just need to be more patient?? Not sure where to go from here.... Thanks.

Chlorine, Chlorine and Chlorine. Algaecide is a preventative at best and can not clear an algae outbreak.

You are done shocking when the water is clear, cc is less than 0.5 an you ca pass the overnight fc loss test, until the hold fc at shock level.

I have not had time to purchase one of the test kits suggested so I am still using my other one. Chlorine is well above the standard levels, actually turns the test water orange/red. Holding there overnight. the rest of the numbers are from the pool store test done on Sunday.
ALK 118
CYA 67
PH 7.5

With CYA at 67, shock level is in the mid 20s, which more or less corresponds to orange/red on the OTO chlorine test.

Can you tell us more about how the water looks? Is the water a clear transparent green, or is it a murky opaque green?

There is no point in using algaecide. Algaecide is best at preventing algae, and doesn't help much when you actually have algae.

Assuming the water is cloudy, you should see it improving each day.

Well this is the weird thing. It is clear but has a green tint. I can see all the way to the bottom of the deep end which is 10ft. I was expecting it to go milky white and then clear but nope. Totally clear, just a slight green tint. I am going to vacuum it tonight because now I can see how dirty it is. Should I just keep the chlorine level up and it will clear the green??

That sounds like metals in the water. Try adding a startup dose of sequestrant. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!! I am thinking at this point that metal is the problem. Water is very clear now but still tinted green. Is there a cost effective way to get rid of it?? Pool store has metal stuff but it is $18.99 to treat 10k gallons... I have 36k gallons. Is the cheap stuff from Walmart effective??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.