Hayward EC40 DE Filter questions

Aug 9, 2010
Hi everyone :) This is the first time using this filter, and I'm having nothing but trouble with it, but I'm not convinced that it's not me :( I started the filter and loaded the pool with chlorine, and it turned the pool to a cloudy light greenish/blue. The filter is pumping and seems to be 'working', but I can't get the pool clear. Also, when I try to vacuum the water coming back through is DIRTY :( I have bumped and replaced the DE and it does the same thing even after doing this immediately after the cleaning. I have done a little research and have read about cleaning the 'fingers', and have a couple of questions- 1) does this sound like it could be the answer to my problems? and 2) is there a way to do this w/o taking water out of the pool and doing the whole opening thing over? I have to be honest, this is the first time opening the pool, so I'm not overly confident with the whole filter process. However I will say that after asking questions and just reading from here last year, I am confident with the use of the BBB method, if I could just figure out this whole filter thing :hammer: Thank you for any advice you have to offer!

Lori,

Currently have the EC65 version, and looks like the best advice I can offer is to take it apart. See if the plates that hold the fingers are cracked(my problem), or there is a ripped finger area two. Even the rubber diaphragm that connects the plates to the lid/case assembly may have been installed incorrectly...with a leak around the edge.
Am replacing mine, as was given a sand filter from a person who was filling in their pool. It's not too hard to take them apart. A schematic is available from Hayward, if you don't have the paper manual. Good luck.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.