80% sure we have a leak ! HELP !

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
Im 80% sure we have a leak somewhere :( Oct 10 we topped off pool level Oct 12 pool needed to be topped off again. I didnt mark any levels or do the "bucket test" as the steps are/were out of the pool because we were again fighting an algae bloom an trying to shock it before closing it for the winter. This past Sat (Oct13) the pool was topped off again and a mark put at the water level on the skimmer. I came home tonight and checked the pool and there is significant water loss. With out getting a tape measure and measuring I would hazard a guess of about 2 inches.
My question now is how do I find the leak :?: I have tried looking over the bottom of the pool and seeing if there are any obvious places where the leak could be and no luck. I had thought about just letting the water leak out and if it stops I would be inclined to think it was on the side of the pool. My other alternative is to drain it and physically get in the pool and search for the leak :shock: on the bottom. I have read about "the food dye" trick, but not knowing where the leak is, to even begin to look for it makes it somewhat hard. The pool is also a little on the cloudy side but we can still see the bottom.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated :!:

Are there any spots around your pool that are wet, that may help narrow down the area the leak is occuring.
You can also try to let it leak down and see if you can locate you leak that way. I have heard that it is not a good idea to drain all your water since your liner could shrink and when you refill it could cause some serious damage as your liner won't stretch back out and pull part of your structure down. The only other option is to do the red dye test.

There is an area where the ground is wet on one side of the pool. I have looked and looked :shock: but I cant find anything from the pool deck. How much red dye do you have to use to do the dye test :?: :?: A few weeks ago I was brushing the bottom of the pool and the brush broke and I scraped the pole along the bottom of the pool :roll: I have looked and looked in that area as well but to no avail and it is on the other side from where the ground is wet ....

Finding a leak can be a huge headache. You may also get lucky and find it in 30 seconds.

Can you correlate the start of the leak with when you broke the pole? Sure sounds like that's where I'd start.

Using dye is not as easy as it sounds. The only luck I've had with it is with a syringe with a fine plastic tip. The tip of the syringe must be held very, very close to the suspected area (1/4 inch or closer if it's a small leak) and then the tiniest amount (one or two drops) ejected from the syringe. If the leak is there, it will be obvious. If you hold the syringe too far away from the area you suspect, the dye will simply remain suspended in the water with no apparent movement.

So, if you suspect the broken pole incident, I think your gonna' have to get in the pool with goggles and a syringe and get down very, very close to inspect that area. If you think it might be on a sidewall, by far the easiest is to let it drain down 'til it stops.

Hi Dave,

I cant be certain that the pole break and the leak are related. The area where the pole broke is across from where the ground is wet around the exterior of the pool. What are the chances of the leak being there but it showing up in another area of the ground? I have walked around the pool and its wet in the one area only. I have looked from above down into the water and can not see a tear where the brush broke or even evidence that the pole scrubbed along the bottom of the pool. I would of thought with that happening the area where there might be hole would be very obvious but it isnt. IF this is the area could I drain all but a couple of feet of water out of the pool then get in and look? Would there be enough pressure for a leak to show up still with dye?

As long as the leak is below the water line, it will still leak, albeit more slowly if you lower the level of water nearer the level of the leak.

A wet spot on one side and the leak on the other is possible but certainly not as logical as looking around the wet spot.

Sooner or later, you'll have to take a very systematic approach to tracing the leak. I would start by determining exactly how much water in gallons you are losing. Once you determine how much your losing in water, figure out how much that's costing you. It may or may not give you added incentive to find the elak or live with it for now.

You have an AG pool right, why not try walking around in your pool with your bare feet in a grid pattern to see if you can feel anything with the bottom of your feet (tears, nicks, weird bumps, rough spots) when you do, you can go under and check it out closeup. If you don't find anything then you will have to go along the sides. If you do a systematic search along the sides I am sure you will eventually find it. They key is to search in a systematic pattern so you aren't guessing. If you can stand up
and walk around the entire area of your pool then you have an advantage over the IG pools with a deep end.

Just as an after thought :idea: ..... The last time i put the polaris in the pool before it broke I had a hard time unscrewing the directional eye from the return line where it screws into the pool. I finally got it to turn but not before the whole attachment was turning inside and out. What are the chances that that is where my leak is ?? I did a leak check with dye today and no dye got sucked in or around the return inlet mind you the water level has now drained to that level.. continueing to keep an eye on the level. :?:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.