help please

May 30, 2011
Mocksville. NC
wow there is so much info on here I am really overwhelmed. I am wanting to convert my pool- it is uncovered and top water clear bottom full of algae. Used test strips and it measures no baquacil- algistat or sanitizer- where should I start now????? Vacuum first or start dumping bleach I checked out the calculator but I am lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :?:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion is where you should start. The good test kit is not optional for this. Do it right, or don't do it at all, because otherwise you'll be stuck in technicolor slime with an unswimmable pool all summer long.

If there's a bunch of leaves and branches in the bottom, get them out first. They'll just consume chlorine you'd rather have oxidizing bacquacil.

If, indeed, you have no detectable bacquacil, your conversion will go real fast!

But take pictures anyway. We love to see the colors.

I've read the article- so today I am going to the local pool store and pick up a test kit then I guess I will test the water enter in my info on the calculator and then see how much bleach I need to put in the pool, am understanding it right? :?:

Be sure the kit you get has the FAS-DPD chlorine test and not just the DPD test. A lot of people try to buy the kit from a pool store and are sold the DPD kit because the pool store tells them it's the same. Trust us, it's NOT! Don't be fooled.

I am trying to write all this down I am still so nervous about doing this
Don't sweat it. Folks here on the forum will help you every step of the way....just ask.

Also, even though I have an agenda, it is REALLY important you have that FAS/DPD kit to do your conversion.....everything else is a very poor substitute.

Choose either the Taylor K-2006 (NOT the K-2005!!), Leslie's FAS/DPD kit, or TFTestkits TF-100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.