How is this possible?

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Ok, a relative built a 40K pool in Mexico (note: hot, sunny). There is no filtration system; it is drained and refilled once every two months or so. He vacuums it occasionally (once every several weeks) using a siphon action that draws some water out as he vacuums. The only thing he tests is pH and chlorine levels.

The pH stays right at 7.6 without any maintenance.

Here's the kicker: he says he adds around 2 cups of granular chlorine once every 4 weeks or so and the FC remains at above 2ppm. And it's in the hot Mexican sun all day. I've been to his pool a couple of times; it is clear and NOT green.

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe something in the water?

If the granular chlorine is dichlor, and they are actually adding it quite a bit more often than you describe, and the fill water levels were appropriate, that could maybe work. But as described, simply not possible.

JasonLion said:
If the granular chlorine is dichlor, and they are actually adding it quite a bit more often than you describe, and the fill water levels were appropriate, that could maybe work. But as described, simply not possible.

That's what I thought, but he stays in Mexico for a couple of months, then leaves for a couple of months, then goes back. And only he maintains the pool. And he's not the type to lie/exaggerate, so not sure what's going on.

Does he put an opaque cover on the pool, probably white to reflect the sun so as not to heat up the pool too much? If so, then the chlorine usage rate can drop to somewhat low levels when not exposed to sunlight, though 4 weeks is a bit of a stretch unless the water was cool which is unlikely during the summer.

chem geek said:
Does he put an opaque cover on the pool, probably white to reflect the sun so as not to heat up the pool too much? If so, then the chlorine usage rate can drop to somewhat low levels when not exposed to sunlight, though 4 weeks is a bit of a stretch unless the water was cool which is unlikely during the summer.

No he doesn't. My only guess is he drains it more often than he says, but he was here in the states for the past month, so it's got to be at least a month in between.

Doesn't make sense. Although gremlins would explain it...

He's not a salesman by any chance is he?

The salesman I work with also has a pool and to hear him tell it he doesn't do anything but scoop leaves out, he never tests the pool. Then I visited with my kit as he asked me to check it for him, low and behold the pool guy shows up to do the maintenance!

LMAO! :lol:

To make a long story short, he has 5 patched holes in his liner (its less than 5 years old), the CYA is through the roof and he has four pucks in his skimmer. I was polite and declined to make any recommendations other than a complete drain and refill...which he most likely won't do.

He never has to touch his pool! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.