Newbie- so happy to have found this site!! ???s

May 30, 2011
Hi- we are a family of 3 that bought an above ground 30x15 pool from namco in the spring. It's been up and filled with water ( from delivery service) since the end of april.
we have finally finished digging the trench, running the electrical and bonding the pool/filter. This week it will be inspected. We have had a solar cover on it this whole time.

So....I am looking at a boc of chemicals, and daughter who keeps asking if she can go in yet and a hubby who is only home on weekends LOL I have never owned a pool in my life, I am confused when I hear that it needs to be backwashed LOL!

Ok- well the water is pretty crystal clear. There are a couple of sunk leaves and what look like chesnut shells on the bottom but other that that it is calling us :)
Do I need to put chemicals in before we go swimming? Do we swim then test the water?

ANY help would be great!!

thanks
hermama-

You need to take a tour of pool school here. Some chlorine now is priority. 2-3 ppm without any CYA/stabilizer in it yet. Post us up a set of test results and we'll get you there. Please add a signature line in your profile so we know what kind of equipment you have. Welcome and Happy Memorial Day!

Hey Hermama, welcome!

I'm a sophmore here, so you might wait for a more experienced answer...

Do you have a water testing kit? You definitely want to test your water. Is there a pool store around that offers free testing?

Plug your test numbers and pool volume into http://www.poolcalculator.com/

The only 'pool store' chemical I have had to buy is "conditioner", which adds CYA. CYA is basically sunscreen for your chlorine, keeping the sunlight from eating it up.

Bleach/Borax/Baking Soda, it is the way to go!

Start with Pool School.

And that box of chemicals could end up creating a world of trouble without a test kit. There's a page explaining it in Pool School.

Clear is good, but I wouldn't let anyone in without knowing pH is good (skin irritation) and having some stabilizer and chlorine in the water. You can get skin rashes, pinkeye, even ear or urinary tract infections from unsanitary water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.