Hayward Cartridge Filter Pump has pulsating flow??

May 30, 2011
My Hayward Cartridge Filter Pump has a pulsating flow...please help?? The water is coming out of nozzle okay, but the hose from the skimmer to the pump is pulsing and the filter basket shows pulsing water. We have closed and re-opened everything, but no luck. Any advice/help is appreciated!!

Welcome to TFP!

That often happens when a lot of air is getting into the pump. As the pump fills with air it loses prime for a moment and slows down, then it gets prime again and works for a moment before losing prime again.

Check that the water level is high enough in the skimmer that you don't have a vortex forming that might pull in air. Also make sure that the pumps strainer basket lid is properly secured and the sealing gasket is in good shape. Also check any hose connections to see if anything is loose.

Look in the skimmer. If the water level is too low, you could be creating a whirlpool, like the last bit of draining a bathtub, where air can get sucked in. Or, the flapper -"weir" is the proper term - could be binding. This will cause the same effect in the skimmer, until the pressure from the pool forces it open, and it floods, and the problem is solved for a minute.

Also, is there an air bleed on the filter? If so, crack it until water shoots out then close it up. Could be air trapped which can cause essentially water hammer like you sometimes get in the house plumbing.

And Jason types faster than me.

Rereading it, it could also be a soft hose collapsing. You might need to put a section of pipe in there or replace it with a stiffer hose.

Something else to check. Do you see any air bubbles in the pump lid? If you were leaking on the pessure side, you would see water spraying, so that's a good sign. If the above replies has been helpful than great! I am glad to see so much knowledge on this site. A little trick to check for suction leaks by the pump is to turn it on, when the pump fully (or close) primes, kick the pump off and look for any water dripping out around the lid or pump intake. If it were the skimmer connection, you'd probably see water dripping when off. One more thing to check, if you had lots of debris, is if your pump has a broken backet or for some reason was not put back in, the pump has an impeller, which could cause cavitation. But usually this will not let the pump prime fully. Just wanted to throw my 2¢ in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.