Closing in warmer weather

Jun 18, 2007
Charleston, SC
Hi Everyone,

To preface, we live in Charleston, SC, so it doesnt get as cold as some of the other places. It is rare to have more than 4-5 nights a winter that are below 32 degrees.

We moved into this house in December of last year, and the owner hadnt done anything to close the pool, they dont even have a cover. I just kept the pool marginally free of leaves all winter, and ran the pump when they were forecasting a night that would get below 35 here (which is rare) to keep the water moving to prevent freeze.

I have a outlet switch that is set to turn the pump on if the temperature drops below 35, so I dont think I have to clear out any lines or use antifreeze. Is there anything I really need to do other than put a cover on it and just wait until spring?

I would quess that most people do not close their pool in that type of climate. I live in Nashville, TN and our winters are a little harsher that you're describing and many folks around here leave their pool open over the winter. Since you have a freeze control outlet there isn't much you really need to do. I wouldn't even put a cover on it unless you have a lot of debris you are trying to keep out of the pool. Not having to put the cover on and pull it off, clean it, and store it is one of the main benefits of not winterizing.

I'm in Raleigh NC - and I decided I want to look at the pool all year too - so not closing it.
Planned on running the pumps round the clock if we hit below freezing.. but a question.

Right now I've cut them back to 6 hours a day and planned to go to 4 hours a day in another month or so.. are you guys saying you just shut off completely except for debris cleaning?

I figured I needed to run them at least 4 hr a day to get some chlorine and movement to keep it from sliming up etc..

Hey Woolfmarsh,
We did not 'close' our pool last year. The only time we ran our pump/filter after the water went below 60 F was to vacuum the pool, once. We did put a heavy blanket and tarp over our semi-wind protected equipment, but that is all we did. Our winter maintenance was scooping some leaves every other day or so. Our pool looked beautiful all winter long. Just another tidbit to add to your decision! Hope this helps.

Joyce

p.s Born in Charleston, SC & live in Columbia, SC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.