Closing after baquacil conversion

Sep 24, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I finally made it through the conversion. My levels held overnight at 15. What I need to know now is if it is ok to go ahead and close without doing anything else. I am going out of the country for 10 days later this week and would really like to get the pool closed before I leave. We will be converting next spring to a SWG system. Here is what my levels are as of 8:30 p.m. FC - 5.5, CC - .5, TA-190, PH-7.8, CH-190. I have not done anything with the CYA since I was concentrating on the FC level only. Also if it is ok to go ahead and close, what chemicals do I need to add to protect thru the winter.
p.s. the pool temp is around 67 right now. Our nights are finally getting a little cooler, it's been an unusally hot fall.

Thanks for any advice.

The two other criteria (besides holding FC overnight) for a complete conversion are:
1. cc's of 0
2. sparkling water

After your conversion is truly complete, you need to change your filter media, cleaning the filter if necessary to remove all remaining baquagoo.

I will let others advise you of what to do about adding CYA (probably skip it till spring) and closing.

One more question. Since we will be changing the filter media before we reopen next year (currently have sand) apparently the system we will will changing too doesn't use that, my husband is the one who has spoke with someone about the SWG not me), does it really need to be changed, just wondering since it's alot of sand to buy just to close down and not use again. Not questioning anyones answers just trying to understand.

Also, what do I need to put in for closing, chemicals etc.

Thanks again.

The SWG and the filter have nothing to do with each other. I suppose you might be replacing the filter as well as adding a SWG, in which case it can wait.

Closing would normally be shocking and polyquat (algicide). You have already been shocking so it is just the polyquat. Remember that you need to keep adding chlorine as long as the pool is open.

Ok thanks for the quick reply. I really don't understand about the SWG and filter stuff yet. I.ve been just concentrating on what I doing now. Did'nt want to deal with too much at once. Plus I figured I had plenty of time to learn about the other before reopening next summer. I will definitely get the polyquat...I guess I can get that at the pool store. Thanks again for everything. I would not have had the patient to complete this process is it had not been for this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.