Breakpoint chlorine level?

czechscott

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2008
I opened the cover 3 days ago. Pool was black. Tested the water 0 Cl pH 7.5, CYA 0. Added dichlor 78% to raise Cl to 13. After the first hour dropped down to 0 again. Bumped it back up and now it is 18 and holding with a 2.5 CC level. The water is still really brown. I have vacumed to waste twice; brushed the sides religiously and still have the high Cl reading. The high Cl reading has me bugged. I can't figure that out. Have I not hit the threshold for the algae? Here are my most current readings: Cl 18, CC 2.5, pH 7.5, TA 80, CYA 0; CH 500. I know I need to replace 50% of the water to lower CH. My question is should I go ahead and replace water or bump up the Cl level to the breakpoint first?

Don't worry about the CH right now. Keep shocking until your CC is 0.5 or less, your water is clear, and your FC holds to within 1 ppm of loss or less overnight.

Since you have zero CYA your shock level is 10 ppm FC. You need to keep it at that level until you pass the OCLT.
If you really have zero CYA then you'll lose all your FC during the day. It's easier to shock if you add about 30 ppm CYA to the water while you're doing it.
How are you testing?
Do you have iron in your water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.