not sure where to put this, sore lil boy parts after pool

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
NOT MY POOL, my parents' pool. This was an issue last year, several grandkids, just the boys had sore and kind of raw boy parts after swimming on and off for the day. My dad said his cholorinator wasn't working properly, and he was over cholorinated and that has since been fixed.

He uses tabs, I'm talking to him about BBB and TFP and testing, he is slowly picking things up. Anyway, today he had us over for a BBQ, after a few hours one of the boys started complaining, my dad insisted he tested (using a cholorine/ph drop test) and levels were fine. I chalked it up to one of the kids being dramatic remembering last year's incident. Then my son started hurting but he didn't even want to stop swimming, when I took him in to change him you can tell his area was irritated. My parents are so upset, I tested his water with his test, cholorine was at about 3 and ph was low under 6.8. He said he added PH up (either last night or yesterday I'm not sure which).

I know it is not a bathing suit, issue because it's happening to multiple kids, my son never has an issue with our pool or any other pool for that matter. The adults were fine but they were not in the pool for the amount of time that the kids were. Can anyone help tell me what this could be.

Re: not sure where to put this, sore lil boy parts after poo

It could be several things but low pH certainly comes to mind. One way or another your dad needs to learn how to test and manage his pool properly so y'all can feel comfortable letting the kids in. You can't learn it and tell him.......he has to decide to learn it on his own.

He can certainly do so right here on this forum.

The low pH is one possibility. The problem with the 6.8 reading is that it's the lowest most tests will read so it may be even lower than that.
Without good test numbers it's hard to say what else it might be.

I vote for low pH as well. Low pH leads to dry, itchy skin. Since the skin in that area is very sensitive it can easily become inflamed. Wet swimwear rubbing the area while he swims or walks around adds to the irritation.

The tabs will lower his pH, so he will need to be diligent and test it daily to keep it in the correct range.

You might want to get your dad a good test kit.

If you can get a TA reading, that would help us figure out how low the pH really is.

Were anyone's eyes bothered by the water?

I'd suspect low pH also. My friend's pool caused my teenage girl to c/o burning, itching skin. Actually, multiple teenagers c/o same symptoms. Friend uses pucks 100% of the time. She indeed did find out that pH was low. Now she monitors more closely. Oh, and she's gone thru a vinyl liner in 8 years.

melissab said:
NOT MY POOL, my parents' pool. This was an issue last year, several grandkids, just the boys had sore and kind of raw boy parts after swimming on and off for the day. My dad said his cholorinator wasn't working properly, and he was over cholorinated and that has since been fixed.

He uses tabs, I'm talking to him about BBB and TFP and testing, he is slowly picking things up. Anyway, today he had us over for a BBQ, after a few hours one of the boys started complaining, my dad insisted he tested (using a cholorine/ph drop test) and levels were fine. I chalked it up to one of the kids being dramatic remembering last year's incident. Then my son started hurting but he didn't even want to stop swimming, when I took him in to change him you can tell his area was irritated. My parents are so upset, I tested his water with his test, cholorine was at about 3 and ph was low under 6.8. He said he added PH up (either last night or yesterday I'm not sure which).

I know it is not a bathing suit, issue because it's happening to multiple kids, my son never has an issue with our pool or any other pool for that matter. The adults were fine but they were not in the pool for the amount of time that the kids were. Can anyone help tell me what this could be.

I know several forum members have suggested pH but I would like to put my 2 cents in and say it could also be combine chlorine. Chloramines can cause irritation to softer skin tissue just as much if not more than abnormal pH levels IMHO.

It's also completely plausible because if he's only using a 2/3-way kit he can only measure TC which includes both FC and CC. You really should get a sample to the pool store to check the CC level and shock it if needed.

Thank you for all of the replies. I'll have him bring me a sample today so I can test it with my TF-100, he is a major pain in the rear. We grew up with an inground pool he owned for 17 years, then he bought this pool 7 years ago and although his pools always sparkle I'm realizing that he knows next to nothing about chemistry and his answer to everything is just to shock the heck out of the pool.

ivyleager said:
I'd suspect low pH also. My friend's pool caused my teenage girl to c/o burning, itching skin. Actually, multiple teenagers c/o same symptoms. Friend uses pucks 100% of the time. She indeed did find out that pH was low. Now she monitors more closely. Oh, and she's gone thru a vinyl liner in 8 years.

Happy Birthday Cary!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :party: :whoot: :goodjob:

I truly appreciate all the help you've given to me and the forum :super: :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

waste said:
ivyleager said:

Happy Birthday Cary!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :party: :whoot: :goodjob:

I truly appreciate all the help you've given to me and the forum :super: :cool:

Thanks Ted! I have no idea how I got to 50....long strange trip indeed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.