uncovered pool and need help

I did the drop Chlorine test so I could get a more accurate reading...
FC 1.5
CC.5
TC 2.0
Is it better to add the bleach late in the day when the pool is not is direct sunlight or does that matter?

Also should I use the borax to raise the ph or Soda Ash?

I am going to get more Baking Soda tonight so I can add later if needed.

medic502 said:
I did the drop Chlorine test so I could get a more accurate reading...
FC 1.5
CC.5
TC 2.0
Is it better to add the bleach late in the day when the pool is not is direct sunlight or does that matter?

Also should I use the borax to raise the ph or Soda Ash?

I am going to get more Baking Soda tonight so I can add later if needed.

Yep...I would get the pH up to at least 7.2 to 7.4. And if I remember correctly you have a vinyl pool so you could bring TA up too. The simplest way of doing so is to get the ARM and HAMMER super washing soda. This raises the TA and pH in large amounts. And it does so quickly. Get it at the grocery store...Get two boxes...you may not need more than one...but if you need more it saves you the trip...I think I paid 6 bucks total.

Use the pool calculator to figure out what your pool needs and then add in halves. If it says 60 ounes add 30 ounces to a bucket of very warm water, and mix it thoroughly. Then poor this into the skimmer with the pump running of course. Wait an hour or so and test pH and TA again...you should see some movement. Then add the other 30 ounces in the same manner. The pool calc will tell you roughly what you need to add.

Then I would get back to shocking that pool. Hit it hard...you are losing FC overnight and you have CCs which means you are not done shocking. Don't let the clear water fool you. shock that pool til it holds.

I just checked my levels again and I am going to do the Overnight FC Loss Test.

My latest test results after adding 3 .lbs Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda and added 1.42 gallons of 6% bleach last night.

FC 3.0
CC .5
TC 3.5
PH 7.4
TA 60 Thought about adding more Baking Soda
CYA 90 Do I need to try and get this down?

Any comments or advice are always appreciated...Thanks. Pool still looks great.

medic502 said:
I just checked my levels again and I am going to do the Overnight FC Loss Test.

My latest test results after adding 3 .lbs Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda and added 1.42 gallons of 6% bleach last night.

FC 3.0
CC .5
TC 3.5
PH 7.4
TA 60 Thought about adding more Baking Soda
CYA 90 Do I need to try and get this down?

Any comments or advice are always appreciated...Thanks. Pool still looks great.

If your CYA is 90 having your FC at 3 is not going to help you. It is too low and you will eventually get algae. Look at the CYA to Chlorine Chart in Pool School. Your target FC is going to be much higher than that...and your shock will be off the charts. Yeah...I would try to get the CYA down...you will need to drain down a quarter of the way...then refill. Then retest the CYA. You may have to do it more than once. I would say you want it to be at the most 50-60. Anything more than that and you are just putting a lot of chlorine in your pool in order to maintain your target maintenance level.

Did the overnight test and the FC only dropped to 2.5

I added 2.8 gallons of Bleach this morning and now at 12 noon my FC is 11 - CC .5 and PH 7.8 TA 70...so at least I am okay on the FC now.

I think I am getting close to where I need to be.

My girlfriend keeps saying I dont need to add all that Chlorine Bleach...I am not even going to try an explain to her about CYA anymore...lol. Thanks

I may drain down tomorrow to get the CYA down.

medic502 said:
Did the overnight test and the FC only dropped to 2.5

I added 2.8 gallons of Bleach this morning and now at 12 noon my FC is 11 - CC .5 and PH 7.8 TA 70...so at least I am okay on the FC now.

I think I am getting close to where I need to be.

My girlfriend keeps saying I dont need to add all that Chlorine Bleach...I am not even going to try an explain to her about CYA anymore...lol. Thanks

I may drain down tomorrow to get the CYA down.

Sounds like a good plan. I would keep FC up to where it is until you are losing less than 1 ppm overnight and you have no CCs. Then once it is in balance and you have no more algae...drain down like I said and replace with clean water. Keeping doing so until CYA comes in at 50 to 60 ppm. Keep it up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.