Trouble with high CH

Vonda,

It sounds like I have the same problem as you do. I have DiamondBrite plaster and It is about 7 months old. My plaster looks whitish and I have lowered the PH to 7.0-7.2 and brushed. Dust comes up when brushing. I am starting to see the blue and black specks that is supposed to show in my plaster but I still am getting that dust. I added Calcium stain preventer and treatment but I don't think it is sequestering the calcium. I am going to try to clean my cartridge filter and add the filter aid to see if it filters the dust. Better. I am following your thread, hope you are able to fix your problem.

Attachments

• simpool_power.jpg
    simpool_power.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 8
Thank you again Jason, you are a wealth of knowledge.

JCJR, frustrating isn't it? I get the white powdery stuff as well. I am hoping to see a difference sometime in the near future. Meanwhile, I have some mean looking arms from brushing.

Vonda

Tomorrow is 2 weeks that I have been brushing the pool. I have not seen a difference in the stains. I was hoping for a little improvment by now.

Vonda

Yes, I am afraid this is the slow and tedious approach. What are your water test numbers? You need to keep the calcium saturation low. Usually holding the PH down is enough, but sometimes the CH level comes up too high and the process stops.

Jason is correct. Please post your numbers. PH rises quickly from 7.0 to7.4 in my pool so I have to add acid every two to three days. It is important to test daily at least the PH.

just a suggestion. Instead of a general sequesterant like the Blue stuff (which really had the highest chelation index for copper and is not as high for calcium) look for a 'stain and scale remover" or a "calcium hardness reducer" . These products are designed with a high chelation index for calcium so they would be more effective for your purposes! I know that Ace Hardware sells a calcium hardness reducer in their house brans O-Ace-Sis. I have firsthand experience with this product and I know it is very effective in reducing the measurable amount of calcium in the water by chelating it and it does help in the removal of scale that has deposted. However, to even see a reduction in the calcium level can take a jmonth or more so it is not a fast process! My second choice for scale removal is Proteam's metal magic doses at 4 times normal dosage. It will cloud the water but I have seen it help in scale removal also.
Good luck and don't give upl The process can actually take several months before you see significant results, What you are doind is actually a mild no drain acid wash.

waterbear,

Thanks so much. I was needing more Blue Stuff anyhow. We don't have an Ace Hardware, but I will check to see if it is available online. I am brushing the pool twice a day, is that enough? Do I add the same amount as the Blue Stuff? Do they both cloud the water?
Vonda

I wanted to add that in the Ace Hardware superstore website, they only sell the reducer in units of 12. I think I will only need 6 or so. Any ideas of where I can purchase only 6?

Thanks again,

Vonda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.