Underground pool 40K gallons jets work no suction in skimmer

OUrj2

May 29, 2011
So my jets are working fine, but I am getting no suction in the skimmer.
I have tried it open half way which is how I normally run it and open all the way which is how I vacuum.
Running a Hayward sand filter.
Any ideas as to what the problem may be or more importantly how to go about fixing it.
Very odd because yesterday everything was working fine.
I tried to backwash and rinse as well to see if that would help ... no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Underground pool 40K gallons jets work no suction in ski

If the returns are working correctly then the water has to come from somewhere. What is the thing you're adjusting to divert the flow from main drain to skimmer. I suspect it's you problem. It's probably not switching any more.

So you are thinking it somehow got stuck closed?
I am just adjusting a dial that controls how much suction goes to the skimmer.

Is there water flowing into the skimmer when it's set like this?
Record the filter pressure. Then turn the valve one direction and record it there. Then turn it the other direction and record the pressure again. Post the pressures and the directions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You need to get that gauge fixed. It makes troubleshooting these type issues easier.
You can turn the valve one direction and feel the return and then switch it the other and feel it again and see fi there's a difference and which way is stronger.

If i turn the handle to the right as I am facing it significantly less water in the skimmer by the pump.
Water flow from the jets does not vary much and is pretty strong. If I had to pick a direction to which that flow was stronger it would be handle to the right as I am facing it.

When you say 'skimmer by the pump' do you mean the pump strainer basket?

I had to read your description a couple of times but that makes perfect sense. It's sounding more like you have a partial pluggage in your skimmer line.

Yeah that is what I mean.
So a partial pluggage. How do I unplug?
A massive pool plunger (joking).

I am pretty "pool dumb", clearly.
Thank you for all of your help!

You can turn the valve all the way to the left and take the strainer basket lid off and stick a hose wrapped with a rag in the suction pipe and let it run a while. That may dislodge whatever's in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.