main drain

jet316

May 29, 2011
Hi I was wondering if the main drain in a pool needs to be on ? I dont think it was on last year, this year when the pool guy opened it is on. This is my 2nd year owning a pool so I'm still new to it.

Its an inground pool.

Thanks.

I have some flow through mine. I think it helps keep the water mixed. Otherwise, the return jets are only about a foot below the skimmer, so the top of the pool gets filtered, but what about below? I also have noticed that I don't have that layer of colder water down at the bottom like many other pools I'm swam in.

It's also nice to be able to brush stray bits of debris at the drain and have them get sucked away. No need to wrestle the vacuum hose.

There are different ways the main drain can be installed. Ideally it has a separate pipe going to the equipment pad and there is a valve on the pad that allows you to control where water is drawn from. Some builders leave out the valve. Other builders plumb the main drain to a second hole in the bottom of one of the skimmers. If you have that there is a special fitting you can get that allows you to force the skimmer to draw some of it's water from the main drain pipe.

JasonLion said:
Other builders plumb the main drain to a second hole in the bottom of one of the skimmers. If you have that there is a special fitting you can get that allows you to force the skimmer to draw some of it's water from the main drain pipe.

Thanks again. We don't have a separate valve, so I assume ours is linked to one of the skimmer holes. If I recall correctly, the main drain worked one season, then we had a pool store winterize and close our pool for the season. My husband opened the pool the next spring, and the drain stopped pulling water. Was hubby supposed to do something to "open" that drain again? I don't recall seeing anything in the hole, but I'm at work at the moment. Today after work I'll take a closer look...

If you have a skimmer with two holes in the bottom, there is a special part that proably looks something like one of these:
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg
joenj-SkimmerDrainDiverter.jpg

that goes in the bottom of the skimmer. Perhaps he forgot to reinstall that part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.