Why is my Hayward DE Filter blasting DE all over my pool?

Oct 14, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
I'm a new pool owner and I've replaced the filter grids in my diatomaceous earth Hayward DE-LE 42054 filter. I restarted the filter following the Operating Instructions that came with the filter. Pre-coating with DE and adding the appropriate amount of DE for the size pool I have. Now I'm noticing that the bottom of the pool and all steps are getting coated with DE dust. This happened with the old filter grids too.

How can I fix this mess?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff

Jeff, first and foremost, welcome to TFP!! :goodjob:

I don't recognize the model you have, but sounds like it has a 'multiport'. You say you replaced the grids, are they in tightly and correctly? I believe that they probably are and that the problem is either the 'O- Ring' on the pipe on which the top assembly seats or in the multiport ( if it's the 'multi', then the DE will only enter when you go to add more to the filter and then stop.)

I believe that I can help you with this, as I have a lot of experience with these units -- a little more detail/ info will help us diagnose and enable you to fix this problem :)

Stick with us and answer our questions about what's going on, and we'll get you all fixed up :!:

Again, welcome here :super:

Re: Why is my Hayward DE Filter blasting DE all over my pool

Thanks for the quick reply.

The model filter I have is the Leslie's Crystal Clear II D.E. Filter DELE-42054 made by Hayward.

The filter has a Top Manifold with 8 ports. I believe this is what you are referring to as the "multiport". I did crank these down tight before putting the whole assembly back into the filter tank. This top manifold does go over a PVC tube with an o-ring.

Are you recommending that I open it back up and pull the assembly off the tube? I'm assuming I'll need to replace the o-ring and/or re-lube it with the gasket lube. Correct?

Can anything else cause the DE to leak back into the pool via the water jets?

Thanks again.

Jeff

Jeff, you are very close to understanding what I said and seem to have a good knowledge of your filter :goodjob:

The multiport is that beast that sits on the outside of the filter and let's you select between 'filter', 'backwash', 'WASTE' ( :wink: ), 'rinse', 'closed' and 'recirc'. You are correct in that the 'manifold' is what the top of the grids fit into and goes down on that 2" pipe sticking up!

For the most part, there are 3 causes for DE re-entering the pool:

1) The grids are ripped/ torn - have some hole in them to let DE through - as you just replaced them, this is VERY unlikely

2) The multiport gasket is warped or ripped. In this case the DE should only come back into the pool when you are replenishing the DE -- however, if the gasket is severely damaged, there is a chance that while trying to filter the water, the filter is also trying to backwash and waste the water and some of that is getting into the return line. (all the water flowing through the multiport is going into all the ports - check to see if water is coming out of the backwash port)

3) The manifold - either the manifold is cracked, or the grids aren't fully secured, leaving a gap between the top of the grids and the manifold, or the o-ring on the 2" tube is gone, warped or pinched, If you have a fairly steady release of DE, that would be my first choice.

I sincerely hope that this helps :!: If I can be of further service - feel free to call upon me :)

I had the same problem about 6 months ago and I found a couple of grids that were a lil frayed, I replaced those and still
was having DE coming thru the returns. Opened back up and saw that I did not have them all lined up exact
and one had dropped down a lil, fixed that and still DE coming thru returns. Opened back up then I noticed a small crack in the manifold. It was a very frustrating couple of weekends. Just my experience maybe it will help ya out some in what to look for.
I have a full 24" assembly (grids, manifold, rods, etc)that a neighbor gave me thinking it would help but I had the 18" grids!
Still sittin in the garage, if you have use for the 24" grids let me know. the manifold should be a fit if ya need, let me know I can send ya pics. I could save ya some money just to get rid of that spare parts.

Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.