40,000 Gallon pool, 1HP motor HaywardSuperII just died.

I have a 40,000 gallon pool that has always run on a 1HP single-speed motor - with a Hayward Super II pump housing. Pool is run for 3 months in Colorado. I never turn off the pump for those 3 months - it's just how I have done it. Cost is $400/mo. My pump motor just died again - it seems to die every 2-4 years. I read about the variable speed pumps but really don't want to spend the money and deal with replacing the entire pump housing, etc. So, what about a 2-speed pump? My question is, with this large of a pool, how many HP of a motor should I get because it will mostly run at the slower speed - and, can I put a larger HP motor into my current pump housing?

Thank you to anyone that replies.

If you're using a 1hp pump now and you plan on sticking with the wet end of the pump you have now, go back with a 2-speed motor with the same SFHP (service factor x hp). You won't (nor need to) gain anything by going to a larger motor.

Welcome to the forum.

As Bama pointed out, the simplest thing to do is to replace the 1 HP motor with a 1 HP two speed motor. In a pump, it is the impeller that determines the load on the motor so putting a larger motor on a 1 HP impeller is still a 1 HP pump.

Is the current pump a full rated or up rated pump?

But there is really no need to increase the pump size. Even an uprated 1 HP pump running on low speed can still turn a 40k pool over once in a day. If you need two turns per day, just run the pump on high speed.

Thanks for the replies. I've talked with 6 different pump motor supply companies on the phone and have gotten completely different info. One said my pump (Hayward Super II) won't even filter any water with a 2-speed pump on low speed. The others said they don't make a 1HP dual speed so I'd have to get a 1.5HP and also replace the impeller. Still another one said if I'm running 110V to the pump house, I need to just use a 1-speed motor and get 220V run to it to save 1/2 on electricity. I'm so confused. And, in response to mas985, my current motor is a 1HP with SF of 1.1.

The companies that you getting this advice from seem to be very confused. There is virtually no efficiency difference between running a motor on 220v vs 110v so that should not be an issue at all. Second, the Super II pumps use a 56J motor frame and your motor is a 1 HP uprated motor and they do make two speed 1 HP uprated (3/4 HP full rated) motors so they are wrong on that account as well. A B973 or equivalent would work fine. Here is a list of motors for Hayward Pumps. You just need to match the frame and the total HP (SF * HP).

Lets attack these one at a time.

coloexposures said:
One said my pump (Hayward Super II) won't even filter any water with a 2-speed pump on low speed.
Your pump will have half the flow on low that it does on high, so that's wrong. You have to run it longer to get the same turnover but you still save doing that.

coloexposures said:
The others said they don't make a 1HP dual speed
There's one on this page near the bottom.

coloexposures said:
...so I'd have to get a 1.5HP and also replace the impeller.
Even if you get a 1½hp motor you can leave the impeller alone and the motor will be just fine.

coloexposures said:
Still another one said if I'm running 110V to the pump house, I need to just use a 1-speed motor and get 220V run to it to save 1/2 on electricity.
I don't have a clue where some of these people get their info.
A 1hp 115 volt 60 hz motor draws 16.8 full load amps. That equals 1,932 watts.
A 1hp 230 volt 60 hz motor draws 8.4 full load amps. That equals 1,932 watts.
Where's the savings? The power co. doesn't charge you for the amount of amps you use that charge you for the power (Watts) you use.

Listen to Bama!

There is a very small advantage to switching to 230 volts, you have a little less electrical loss in the wires between the breaker panel and the pump, other than that it doesn't matter which voltage the pump is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.