Any reason to have the pool store test the water?

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
PB said I should take it in once a month or so to have them test. I did just that yesterday and they were way off in some areas.

Said FC was 6. I tested it at 2 earlier in the morning and did not add any chlorine.
Also said CYA was 60. My tests show 35 - 40

Other numbers seemed fairly inline with what I get.

I am inclined to believe my tests as I am careful and thorough when I test. They had a lot of people lined up and were splashing this and that around.

Only thing they recommended was a phosphate treatment. Not even sure what that is, but the funny thing they said was "With phosphates that high, the only thing keeping you from getting algae is the FC." Isn't that always the case?

The only thing we recommend you have the pool store test for are metals. That's because you normally only need to test for that very infrequently and the tests are quite expensive for a single time test.

You're much better off using your own test kit for the normal tests.

Ditto what Bama said.

Yes, FC is the only thing preventing algae, as phosphate levels are irrelevant if you maintain proper FC levels. But the pool stores make alot of money on phosphate removers, so they are going to push them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.