Water Won't Clear

icfbuild

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2010
Central Kentucky
A friend of mine has a 18'x36' inground pool ranging from 3' deep in the shallow to 7.5 in the deep. Vinyl lined pool.
The pool was closed by the local pool store this past winter and looking at the bill there is a string of "stuff" that they put into the water. I really have no idea what they have added as everything is abbreviated on the bill for 300 bucks.
When he took the cover off the pool walls and water was green. He has dumped in about 20 gallons of 10% pool shock from Watson's pool store water has changed to cloudy, but it wont clear. When I tested the water about 5 days ago the numbers were as follows:
FC 1.0
pH 7.2
TA 90
CYA 20

We added 3 more gallons of the 10% pool shock and he has added more stabilizer. Now according to his strips and the pool store testing they say that the CYA level is "fine" and the water is "fine"

Pool is still cloudy. He has even tried 3 packs of Non-chlorine shock sold by the pool store.

Where do I go from here?
Thanks in advance
Fredf

First, you need to be consistent about maintaining the FC level. 20 gallons of shock is way too much, and then it sounds like the pool was more or less ignored for several days, which lets things get worse again. Consistent FC levels are crucial, not wild swings like that.

You should also check into the filter and make sure it is working correctly. Chlorine will kill the algae, but then the filter needs to filter the dead algae out of the water. What kind of filter does he have? Has he been cleaning/backwashing the filter as needed?

Jason, thanks. This guy is Pool Store Sold. Hook, Line & Sinker. The first time I spoke with him about his pool and out BBB method he would just go blank on me. Now, after hundreds of dollars to the pool store he is coming around. I told him to be consistent and it was best to add the bleach in the evenings and as needed throughout the day. So he did the opposite, added it in the morning and tested in the evening..duh.
So he calls me today complaining about the pool store(s). So I went through the process again. Robbie, His big complaint is that it is whitish "cloudy" and that the FC has never been in the blue on his strip. I believe that is 10ppm. I have told him to backwash often. The sand in the Hayward sand filter is two years old.
I told him I would swing by tomorrow and retest. I will post numbers then.

New numbers this morning @ 9am
FC 5.0
CC 1.0
TC 6.0
pH 7.2
TA 80
CYA very near 50
I advised him to be consistent and test often. Also told him to add 1gal 3 quarts of 6% bleach to raise to 10.
pH was discussed and he still wants to use the pH Up sold to him by the pool store instead of the borax.
I also observed some air bubbles coming from the returns. It looks as the filter hasn't been filtering properly do to a bad gasket on the strainer basket @ the pump. I told him to buy a new gasket and some of Jack's lube.
Am I on the right path?

Thanks Jason, I just hope he keeps on it as instructed. I will convert him from Pool Store to BBB, it's been a long road, but when his water clears he will see that BBB is the best.
I did check the skimmer for the vortex it seemed fine. I hope he has some positive results by tomorrow. The sun is out bright and highs today are in the 90's. I know he is wanting to use his pool.
I will keep a check on him. Hopefully I will be able to post a picture of a nice sparkly pool

Over the years, I have been mostly skeptical of trying to help friends, neighbors, etc. You can lead a horse to water......

If you can ever get them to come on to the forum and learn on their own, then it will likely stick. :cry:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.