best way to get cya in to pool?

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
Need to get my CYA up...I'm noting it as 0 since I can still see the black dot and its full to the top. I just poured stabilizer into a stocking and hung it next to the return jet...but I still need to brush and shock...is this the best way to get it into the pool? I don't want to put it into the skimmer because I'll probably have to vacuum again this evening and don't want to waste it.

The 'no backwashing' rule is more for people that put it in the skimmer. If you pour it into the skimmer and it's trapped in the filter till it dissolves and you backwash before that happens then you'll lose a good protion of it. However, if you hang it in front of a return you won't lose nearly as much if you have to backwash. Of course, not backwashing at all would be best, but you can't always help it.

also, the sandpaper feel all around the sides of the pool are calcium buildup from over the winter months of no treatment. I was using the edge of the pool brush to scrape it in a downward motion as its all down the sides from water level to the bottom. Is there anything other than scrubbing and scraping that will loosen it?

No, backwashing and vacuuming to waste are different. To vacuum to waste you need to have a multi-port valve that can be set to the waste position.

Scraping off the calcium as you describe is a good approach. You could try using a sequestrant designed for calcium to soften it up, but if scraping is working for you that is a better approach.

OMG>....Never have i worked so hard like I did today! I...ME....MYSELF...scraped the walls all around the 24ft pool!!!! While doing that, I had tube socks on and rubbed the bottom divots that felt slippery and brushed the bottom the best I could since I couldn't see a thing with dead algae and calcium scales floating in the water....shocked the pool tonite..running the pump/filter..have bumped twice in last 4 hrs. Will bump again at 10pm, then see if I can persuade hubby to walk across the yard after midnite to check the pressure and bump again. Plan on the family getting in first thing in the morning to walk fast around the perimeter to get the water swirling in a whirlpool motion and exit the pool. Hoping for it to mostly settle in the center, then vacuum to waste, add new DE, and keep filtering. We have about 12 kids coming tomorrow for a little pool party for a couple hours. My thinking is to use the kids to splash up a storm, and their feet should help loosen any debris still on the bottom while the filter is still running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OMG....its AMAZING what throwing in 13 kids into a 24' pool can do for getting the last bits of algae and scaling can do for you!!!!!! LOLOL All the splashing and foot scrubbing going on, I've already bumped my filter twice with them in it! The floor is looking GOOD!!!!! LOL

julie492 said:
OMG....its AMAZING what throwing in 13 kids into a 24' pool can do for getting the last bits of algae and scaling can do for you!!!!!! LOLOL All the splashing and foot scrubbing going on, I've already bumped my filter twice with them in it! The floor is looking GOOD!!!!! LOL
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: You can also use those kids when you need to raise your pH! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.