Green water in above ground salt warer pool

May 29, 2011
I have an 18" above ground pool with a salt water system. Here in Sc I keep it open all year-letting the pump run during the winter on cooler days. My water has been crystal clear, and the past few days my water has turned green. This is the 2nd year I am running the salt system, I figured with the temperature being in the high 90's, the chlorine level ha been messed up. I have shocked it, let the pump run overnight, without the salt generator running, put algaecide in it, and clarifier in it also. The generator is producing the chlorine when it is running, I can smell it coming out of the pump. Levels of chlorine are not really low, and ph is good. The water looks clear when it is in a container, but green looking in the pool. There are no local pool companies in my area, and although I have had this problem after rain in the past, before I had the salt generator, I have been able to shock it to clear it up. Do you have any suggestions on what I can use to clear my pool up, and what stores my carry them. My children want to go swimming, but I will not let them go in till I have this cleared up...I am really stumped on this one and I have had taken care of a pool for over 40 years! Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

To me it sounds like you need to continue shocking, but not sure without test results. I'd recommend the TF100 for longterm testing purposes, but to get you through the weekend, do you have a walmart or HW store nearby that would carry the HTH 6way drop test kit? Also if you do go to walmart, pick up a few large bottles of their great value bleach. If you could post up some test results, we can help you further.

My guess is that your CYA is too low and the SWG cannot keep up with the chlorine demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.