Heater, bypass valve common?

May 27, 2011
Hi, just got a heater installed for my pool. However, it was hooked permanently to the filter, and then to the pool.

I was wondering if I should install a 3-way valve or something. We don't plan to use it all the time, in fact we'll have it turned off completely during the summer months, so I was wondering if it's at all needed for the water to circulate through it when it's not in use.

Is it common to put such valve(s)? If yes, do you put two of them (one before and then after the heater, or how?)

Thanks, this forum is great! I learned so much in here!

Having a heater bypass is not common the way say SWGs are common, but then they aren't rare either. I'd guess that several percent of all pools have them. Being able to bypass the heater makes the whole system a bit more efficient, but not enough more efficient that most people would notice.

There are different ways to setup a bypass. The most common approach is probably to have three valves, two on the inlet and outlet from the heater and a third on the bypass pipe. A simpler, less flexible, approach is to simply have a three way valve that sends water either to the heater or bypassing the heater.

Whenever I install a unit in any system it always has a bypass/shutoff incorporated into the installation. Also, whenever possible, unions are also used as a means of quick and easy removal/reinstall on the unit. That way if you have a failure of some variety that requires the removal of the unit it makes it much easier. Should repair or replacement take some time it allows for use of the system without the unit as long as it isn't a primary function of the system. It's a mentality that's saved me more than once. JMHO

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.