Vacuum is now only 1/2 as strong as it used to be??

May 17, 2009
Opened pool up this year, water was easy to get crystal clear. Pump seems to be working property at 10 psi. Everything is GREAT! However, when I go to vacuum the pool, my suction seems to be only 1/2 of what is used to be. I feel the suction if I put my finger almost inside the hole of the sweeper, but I know it was much strong than this last year. Any ideas? Thanks.

Yes, we have checked the hose for being plugged. My DH "reversed" the flow and it came out the sweeper part freely and pretty strong. No, we do not have valves on the equipment pad - it only draws from one place, which is the skimmer.

gooselover said:
That is what I am wondering...if the vacuum hose may leak. The hose is about 5-6 years old. IF the hose has a leak, could we tell it easily or see it?

Sometimes you can. My sectioned hose was splitting on the ends and allowing air to enter the system. Had to replace it this year.

I know for a few times, there was obvious "sucking" sounds coming from the skimmer. We replaced the ring around the skimmer and there is no sound coming from it now, but the suction or strength of the suction is still about 1/2. Truthfully, if you just put your hand flush on the sweeper, you feel nothing, you have to stick a finger up there to start to feel the suction, thus it is not picking up from the bottom very well at all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.