Running pool pump.. An hour per 10 degrees?

Nov 21, 2010
I've had my pool redone and up and running for about 2 months now. I hear all around you should run your pool pump an hour per 10 degrees. My water is just about to hit 80 degrees. (In Phoenix Arizona)
Now I've only had my pump running about 2 hours a day and I brush the walls and vacuum the bottom about once weekly. So far the water has been very clear, been doing my best to keep chlorine, ph, etc.. levels where they should be and everything seems perfect.
So my question is what is the real downside to not running your pump enough? Is there something that I'm missing? Just seems running my pump 4 times longer everyday would be a huge waste of energy and money.
I'm no pool pro so let me know what you guys think

We need to know a lot more about your pool and equipment to even hazard a guess, but 2 hours a day in most any type pool is cutting it way short. I don't know that you need 8 hours but I think you're asking for trouble with 2.

Good rule of thumb is at a minimum to run the pump enough to turn your volume of water over at least once daily. 4 to 5 hours is a good ballpark to start. But the hotter it gets-the more I'd run it.

Lana537 said:
Hello~~

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Lana
Powder shock and tabs to maintain level.

Bama Rambler said:
We need to know a lot more about your pool and equipment to even hazard a guess, but 2 hours a day in most any type pool is cutting it way short. I don't know that you need 8 hours but I think you're asking for trouble with 2.
What kind of trouble?

8 hours seems like a lot, unless you have a variable speed pump that you can run on low speed.

I am fortunate in that I have a round spillover spa. It was real easy to measure the diameter. I moved the valves around so I was emptying the spa. I timed how long it took to draw it down a foot, then crunched some numbers to get a close approximation of how many gpm I filter. Then it was easy to figure out how long it takes to get a full turnover.

Another thing to keep in mind with pump runtime is when. If you have peak rates for electricity, then nighttime makes sense. I've also read that filtering at night helps cool the water, which may be a concern where you live. But you also want a little bit of circulation during the day, as the top layer of water will lose more FC to UV light than the bottom, so you want to keep it mixed.

So, figure out how long it takes to turn the water, and experiment. If it stays clear with 6 hours, try going down to 5 for a week or so. If it starts to lose the sparkle, go up. Every pool has its own personality.

What kind of trouble?
A dirty pool that can quickly grow algae in the areas that don't receive much circulation.

Like others have said, you can watch your pool and judge for yourself. However, one algae bloom will consume all your savings in electricity in 24 hours so you might end up penny wise and pound foolish.

Generally, 2 hours is inadequate for most pools. I run mine eight hours and there are some folks here who run 24/7.

Just to reinforce. 2 hours of run time per day leaves a LOT of the day that the pool sits uncirculated. To me, that's asking for trouble. What I would do is test the water in several places just before the pump starts for a couple of days. That will be when the FC is the lowest of anytime during the day.

Bama Rambler said:
Just to reinforce. 2 hours of run time per day leaves a LOT of the day that the pool sits uncirculated. To me, that's asking for trouble. What I would do is test the water in several places just before the pump starts for a couple of days. That will be when the FC is the lowest of anytime during the day.
That sounds good I'd like to test before the pumps kick on. What exactly am I looking for? Certain tester you recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.