New Results, not on BBB just yet.

Hark

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Been away for a bit and ran some test results this morning with my TF100.

FC: 5.5
CC: .5
TC: 6.0
pH: 7.8
T/A: 150
CH: 500
CYA: 100
Water temp: 83

Did the CH and T/A tests several times. My fill water is about the same on the CH. AZ water I guess.
The CYA result is after I refilled about 1/2 of the pool about two months ago.
Not on the BBB method yet. I still have a bunch of tabs left that I paid good cash for so once they are gone I will change over.

Are you supplementing with liquid chlorie to keep your FC level above your "minimum"? Refer to the CYA/Chlorine chart. The CYA test vial only goes up to 100, it could be higher. If the CYA is 100, your FC needs to stay above 7 AT ALL TIMES or you risk an algae bloom. Your tabs are not able to produce enough chlorine to stay at that level and they continue to compound the CYA problem.

The CYA vial test came right to the 100 line on the tube. I do have trouble keeping the clorine at that level with the tabs so I have been using about a pound of powdered shock a week. Once I work though the remaining supply of tabs and shock that I have, I will do a partial drain and move over to the liquid chlorine. My plan anyway.

Reading all of the information on this board has been extrememly helpful. The only concern I have with keeping the chlorine at the higher level is the effect on the people in the pool. Are there any adverse effects or does the CYA keep that in check?

CYA keeps FC bound up. Last summer I had to maintain FC about 20 due to astronomical CYA. No smell, no burning eyes, no bleached out swimsuits.

Chemgeek periodically posts a chart that shows the equivalence of various FC at various CYA levels. You might want to hunt through his posts.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

That powdered shock (Dichlor) will just make your CYA issue worse. Given your CH is high too, you most economical option is to switch to liquid chlorine. Perhaps you can return the shock to the PS?

I still have a bunch of tabs left that I paid good cash for so once they are gone I will change over.
You are only compounding your problem. With CYA already too high, you will drive the CYA higher and be battling against the wind to keep your pool properly managed.

Use the knowledge that you are gaining and put the tabs away for now. They DO NOT go bad and, after you reduce your CYA, you can use them for vacations, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My CYA got up to 100 too, I think it's probably closer to 90 by now. I took the FC up to probably 30ish to shock and it's now down to 22 or so but still has CC, so apparently I didn't keep the FC high enough for long enough.

If the pool store got their way my CH would be 500 too. (my VINYL, ABOVE GROUND pool)

I'm changing to BBB immediately (in progress) but I also have tabs and cal hypo to use eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

Speedo said:
My CYA got up to 100 too, I think it's probably closer to 90 by now. I took the FC up to probably 30ish to shock and it's now down to 22 or so but still has CC, so apparently I didn't keep the FC high enough for long enough.

If the pool store got their way my CH would be 500 too. (my VINYL, ABOVE GROUND pool)

I'm changing to BBB immediately (in progress) but I also have tabs and cal hypo to use eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

FWIW, with CYA at 90-100, shock level is 35-40 ppm and the main reason shocking at those levels is so hard...it take a lot of chlorine to maintain an FC of 40 over a shocking period of 2-7days and sometimes longer :shock:

Here we go, sump is in the pool to drain out some of the water. Refill to get this CYA number down, switch to BBB. Just hurts draining this water, it is clear but I know I won't have to continue to dump crazy amounts of chlorine in the water once CYA is at a resonable number.

Hark said:
Here we go, sump is in the pool to drain out some of the water. Refill to get this CYA number down, switch to BBB. Just hurts draining this water, it is clear but I know I won't have to continue to dump crazy amounts of chlorine in the water once CYA is at a resonable number.
You actually won't use any more chlorine due to high CYA, but you will need barrels more to shock if you do get an algae outbreak, that's all.

If the water is clear and sparkling as you say, just maintain FC up where Pool Calculator recommends. You won't be able to use the color matching FC tester, you'll have to use FAS-DPD test every time, but it ain't so bad. I did it for over a year! You'll learn soon enough how much chlorine the pool uses on average, and can test every 2 or 3 days after the first couple weeks.

If you do drain, leave your CYA higher than the recommendation, since you're in sunny Arizona, and that sun will devour your FC at an amazing rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.